Undefined reference error Adafruit neopixel
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Undefined reference error Adafruit neopixel

by hellraise007 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello all,
First of all let me apologise if this is not the correct section to post this.
I'm using the Adafruit_NeoPixel arduino library in a project in Atmel Studio 7. While trying to buil the project I get this error

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Severity   Code   Description   Project   File   Line
Error      undefined reference to `Adafruit_NeoPixel::Adafruit_NeoPixel(unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned int)'   Touch   D:\touch-base\Main\Touch\light.h   11
Error      undefined reference to `Adafruit_NeoPixel::~Adafruit_NeoPixel()'   Touch   D:\touch-base\Main\Touch\light.h   11

Since I am fresh to Atmel Studio and the neopixel library, any help would be appreciated

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
#define LED_COUNT 8
#define LED_DRIVER_PIN 7
Adafruit_NeoPixel lights = Adafruit_NeoPixel(LED_COUNT, LED_DRIVER_PIN, NEO_RGB + NEO_KHZ800);

{Some code}

hellraise007

Re: Undefined reference error Adafruit neopixel

by oesterle on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi, hellraise007!

As I understand it, Atmel Studio 7 can open Arduino sketches, and import libraries like Adafruit_NeoPixel. Apparently it looks for them in Arduino's libraries folder, which on Windows is in Documents > My Documents > Libraries.

Have you installed the Arduino IDE, and used that to install the Adafruit NeoPixel library? That's what I would try.

But there may be an easier way.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

Re: Undefined reference error Adafruit neopixel

by hellraise007 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

oesterle wrote:Hi, hellraise007!

As I understand it, Atmel Studio 7 can open Arduino sketches, and import libraries like Adafruit_NeoPixel. Apparently it looks for them in Arduino's libraries folder, which on Windows is in Documents > My Documents > Libraries.

Have you installed the Arduino IDE, and used that to install the Adafruit NeoPixel library? That's what I would try.

But there may be an easier way.

Cheers,

Eric

Hello Eric,
Yes I have imported the neopixel libraries from arduino into a separate project (I'm using to host just libraries and common code) in the same solution space. I have added the directories into the compiler options of the working project (which in turn solved another issue of not detecting the header file altogether). Still no outcome.

hellraise007

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.