LCD Thermocouple Example issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LCD Thermocouple Example issue

by hbar314 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Using MAX31855 thermocouple breakout/amplifier.
That works and I can see the temperature in the serial monitor.

I tested the lcd using the liquid crystal 'hello world' example uploaded and it works, yay!

That was as I worked through this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/thermocouple/arduino-code

Uploaded the lcdthermocouple example as shown on that page and it doesn't show temperature. It just shows both of these lines on the lcd:
Int. Temp =
T/C Problem

With the second line flashing.

Serial monitor shows int temp and gives an odd value that doesn't change, but continues to repeat the value.

I googled around and some people mentioned that isnan(c) produces floating point numbers which the lcd can't handle which sounds logical but since I'm new I honestly don't know how I would even attempt fixing that.

Code below (just copied from the stock example).

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#include "Adafruit_MAX31855.h"
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

int thermoCLK = 3;
int thermoCS = 4;
int thermoDO = 5;

// Initialize the Thermocouple
Adafruit_MAX31855 thermocouple(thermoCLK, thermoCS, thermoDO);
// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows:
  lcd.begin(16, 2);

lcd.print("MAX31855 test");
  // wait for MAX chip to stabilize
  delay(500);
}

void loop() {
  // basic readout test, just print the current temp
   lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
   lcd.print("Int. Temp = ");
   lcd.println(thermocouple.readInternal());
   lcd.print("  ");

double c = thermocouple.readCelsius();
   lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
   if (isnan(c))
   {
     lcd.print("T/C Problem");
   }
   else
   {
     lcd.print("C = ");
     lcd.print(c);
     lcd.print("  ");
   }

delay(1000);
}

hbar314

Re: LCD Thermocouple Example issue

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Please post a sample of the serial output. And also please post some photos showing your soldering and connections.

adafruit_support_bill

by hbar314 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Please post a sample of the serial output. And also please post some photos showing your soldering and connections.

No problem.
Here's the serial monitor output:
Serial lcdthermo issue.JPG
Serial lcdthermo issue.JPG (76.43 KiB) Viewed 58 times

Here's looking down onto my setup (data logger shield on top):
FOTO_20190129_194954.jpg
FOTO_20190129_194954.jpg (257.9 KiB) Viewed 58 times

hbar314

by petespaco on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:21 pm

First thing I notice is that there's no room to print the "6" of the "-0.06" temp reading. Maybe this example was originally setup for a 20 character wide display?
Hope I am not wrong. You could eliminate the spaces between Int. Temp and =. And see what happens. That won't solve the whole problem, but at least the LCD reading will match the serial output.
By the way, I don't see the serial output code in the snippet that you sent. (Is it within the library someplace?)
I know that the T/C terminals are labelled "yellow" (+) and "red" (-), but do you have it hooked up this way or did you automatically hook the red lead to the (+) terminal?

Sorry if I am off track here. It's too cold to do much outside today, so you get my attention.

petespaco

by hbar314 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:58 pm

petespaco wrote:First thing I notice is that there's no room to print the "6" of the "-0.06" temp reading. Maybe this example was originally setup for a 20 character wide display?
Hope I am not wrong. You could eliminate the spaces between Int. Temp and =. And see what happens. That won't solve the whole problem, but at least the LCD reading will match the serial output.
By the way, I don't see the serial output code in the snippet that you sent. (Is it within the library someplace?)
I know that the T/C terminals are labelled "yellow" (+) and "red" (-), but do you have it hooked up this way or did you automatically hook the red lead to the (+) terminal?

Sorry if I am off track here. It's too cold to do much outside today, so you get my attention.

That's an interesting idea. Removing the space like you mentioned does bring the -0.06 fully onto the lcd.

However, i figured it out! Looks like I followed the picture setup with had pins 3,4,5 backwards and didn't double check that the example code had them the same to the amplifier.

hbar314

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.