Noob: sound and pressure logger
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Noob: sound and pressure logger

by cbutterworth on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 pm

I want to make an Arduino based data logger for sound (audible range) and pressure up to 2psi.

I found the:

1. Assembled Data Logging Shield
2. Headers
3. Metro 328
4. Electret microphone amplifier with adjustable gain
5. Pressure sensor BMP 388
6. Breadboard
7. Battery pack 9V
8. SD card

Any ideas on whether I have missed anything crucial? Obviously, I may need to order other items later, but wonder if this would be sufficient for prototyping.

Thanks,
Charlie

cbutterworth

Re: Noob: sound and pressure logger

by millercommamatt on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Do you have jumper wires, assorted passive components, a soldering iron, multimeter, and other assorted prototyping basics and consumables?

Also, expand on the pressure aspect of what you want to measure. Let's make sure the BMP388 is a good fit for your application. You mention of 2 PSI caught my eye as an odd specification. It's too low for ambient air pressure and if you're looking for a measurement of overpressure or sound pressure... well 2 PSI is something you'd get from an explosion. The minimum senstivity of the BMP388 (~0.8 Pa) is only going to resister pressure perturbations from sounds louder than what damages human hearing.

millercommamatt

by cbutterworth on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:29 pm

The pressure being measured is inside a set of bagpipes. They typically play at up to 40” water (around 2psi) above atmospheric pressure.

I have done DIY electronics before, but in the realm of high-end tube amplifiers, etc. I have jumpers, a breadboard, passives, and a good multimeter already. The new thing for me will be using and tweaking the programming side of the project.

Charlie

cbutterworth

by millercommamatt on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Take a look at this sensor: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3965

millercommamatt

by cbutterworth on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks that might work. My plan was to put the entire project inside the bagpipe bag, then retrieve it for later downloading and assessment of data.

Charlie

cbutterworth

by cbutterworth on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:55 pm

So what I am trying to create is a system for gathering data on how much a reed fluctuates in pitch due to changing pressure applied to it.

I had thought of a simple pressure logger while recording sound separately on a Zoom recorder, then combining both sets of data manually. However, that seems really awkward compared to simultaneously time-stamped pressure and pitch data that can be brought directly into a spreadsheet.

cbutterworth

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.