BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor

by pswin on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 am

Using Adafuit BME-680 library I can read the value of the gas sensor. but the problem is there when I do not continuously read the sensor, it starts returning zero value. For instance, when I read the value of the sensor in every 5 seconds it returns 23 when I change the delay to 10 seconds it returns 8 and for more higher delays like one minute, it returns zero!!!

Well, I really do not know how I can get a constant value from the sensor at different times. How can I do that?

pswin

Re: BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor

by franklin97355 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Try taking two readings and use the second. That might help.

franklin97355

by pswin on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks, I will try that, but so far I noticed that BME680 is not reliable at all. (Maybe my module is broken). But it doesn't produce reliable values at all ( the problem is same for all sensors)

pswin

by Govner on Wed May 08, 2019 4:40 am

I don't know if this helps, but I have an ongoing project here using this sensor and, while the datasheet addresses the operation of the heater, I kept it simple by making "dummy reads" at shorter intervals to keep the heating cycle active. Then, I use data values at whatever interval I wish. This may not work for all situations, particularly when battery operated, but it does get the job done. I'm sure you have other considerations as this is too obvious I suppose. I find this sensor to be WONDERFUL for my uses where environmental conditions impact animal growth and health. This sensor allows me to control ventilation and humidifier cycles in a cost-saving manner. If you're so inclined, the NOAA has accurate equations for conversion of Temp and Rel Humidity to get the "feels-like" temp, or so-called "Heat Index". By the way, I find that the I2C interface is much less of a headache than SPI when a SD DataLogger and LCD display are in the mix. Good luck. I hope you can get this great little sensor to do what you need.

Regards,
GOV

Govner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.