๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor

by pswin on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 am

Using Adafuit BME-680 library I can read the value of the gas sensor. but the problem is there when I do not continuously read the sensor, it starts returning zero value. For instance, when I read the value of the sensor in every 5 seconds it returns 23 when I change the delay to 10 seconds it returns 8 and for more higher delays like one minute, it returns zero!!!

Well, I really do not know how I can get a constant value from the sensor at different times. How can I do that?

pswin

Re: BME680 and problem in reading gas sensor

by franklin97355 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Try taking two readings and use the second. That might help.

franklin97355

by pswin on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks, I will try that, but so far I noticed that BME680 is not reliable at all. (Maybe my module is broken). But it doesn't produce reliable values at all ( the problem is same for all sensors)

pswin

by Govner on Wed May 08, 2019 4:40 am

I don't know if this helps, but I have an ongoing project here using this sensor and, while the datasheet addresses the operation of the heater, I kept it simple by making "dummy reads" at shorter intervals to keep the heating cycle active. Then, I use data values at whatever interval I wish. This may not work for all situations, particularly when battery operated, but it does get the job done. I'm sure you have other considerations as this is too obvious I suppose. I find this sensor to be WONDERFUL for my uses where environmental conditions impact animal growth and health. This sensor allows me to control ventilation and humidifier cycles in a cost-saving manner. If you're so inclined, the NOAA has accurate equations for conversion of Temp and Rel Humidity to get the "feels-like" temp, or so-called "Heat Index". By the way, I find that the I2C interface is much less of a headache than SPI when a SD DataLogger and LCD display are in the mix. Good luck. I hope you can get this great little sensor to do what you need.

Regards,
GOV

Govner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.