๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

PyBadge Build Quality
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyBadge Build Quality

by TheNJM on Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 pm

I couldn't find a non-public way to report problems to Adafruit, let me know if there is one.

I recently purchased a PyBadge and there are some build quality issues with the one I received. The first problem is the screen lifting away from the PCB. I can press it back down and it sticks for a few minutes, but it slowly rises as the ribbon cable pushes it up.

PyBadgeScreenProblem.png
PyBadgeScreenProblem.png (393.78 KiB) Viewed 360 times

This wont be a problem for me as I intend to print a gamepad style case for the PyBadge so it will hold it in position. However, for those of you wanting to use it as-is in badge format, this is a serious problem.

The second issue is the placement of the d-pad buttons. My lower button is deviated quite far from its correct position.

PyBadgeJoypadProblem.png
PyBadgeJoypadProblem.png (320.5 KiB) Viewed 360 times

I'm going to try to design a case that can be 3D printed and I'd like any PyBadge owner to use it, do I need to consider this much drift in the positioning of all of the d-pad buttons? Or is my particular board an anomaly? What about the other buttons on the board, might they also be 1mm off in any direction?

Thank you for any help!

TheNJM

Re: PyBadge Build Quality

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu May 02, 2019 1:54 pm

For the screen, it's a fairly common thing that happens. All these screens were designed to be inside something that would essentially hold them in place. So it can be tricky to keep them in place with how we use them on our breakouts. You can try something like this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... esive-25-1

For the buttons - I think that's just how they are arranged. Probably because of the rotation done so the pins wouldn't interfere.

adafruit_support_carter

by kevinjwalters on Sat May 11, 2019 11:01 am

The product page for this shows similar unaligned layout but buttons look a little different. The product page shows some white lines on the pcb for buttons, the down button does look mispositioned relative to its white guidelines.

I agree some clarity would be good here to aid case designers particularly if layout will be changed/corrected soonish.

There's a pre-production (?) version of the board on https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkY1KA1BMM - I'm not sure if the lower button has offset there.

kevinjwalters

by adafruit2 on Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 pm

yeah for the screen, you can use some doublesided tape to try and keep it down. for the buttons we originally went with they were j-lead so sat right on the pads, but we found nicer buttons that have L leads that stick out - so they're not centered quite right. we plan to have another rev for the buttons to make them a little longer, but its worth the offset cause these buttons feel great.
the current files on github are correct. if you can't use this pybadge we can replace it, but it may not be signifcantly different!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by TheNJM on Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 pm

My PyBadge is completely usable, I just wanted to give you a heads up. The case will hold the screen in place. The case design I have come up with should manage a 1mm placement error for the buttons.

TheNJM

by adafruit2 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

thanks, we'll keep workin' to make the hardware better :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by kevinjwalters on Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 am

FYI, the Ruiz Brothers have produced a case design for the PyBadge: PyBadge Case.

kevinjwalters

by kevinjwalters on Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 pm

FYI, spotted another case on the upcoming PyGamer derivative at 00:32: Adafruit Top Secret! May 15, 2019 (YouTube).

kevinjwalters

by TheNJM on Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

That looks even better than the PyBadge! Looks like I'll have to get that too. Hopefully they are similar to develop for,

TheNJM

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.