Ultimate GPS doesn't work with 32u4 Datalogger feather?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ultimate GPS doesn't work with 32u4 Datalogger feather?

by yakatz on Thu May 09, 2019 1:15 am

My Ultimate GPS (v3) works fine with my knockoff Uno. My datalogger feather works fine with all the sample code I have run (SD card contents, simple GPIO tasks), but no matter what I do, I can't get the GPS messages to show up on the datalogger. I have tried using hardware serial and software serial on a bunch of different pins (all the same software serial code that works on the Uno) and haven't gotten anything. The GPS module gets power and (according to the light) gets a fix.

yakatz

Re: Ultimate GPS doesn't work with 32u4 Datalogger feather?

by franklin97355 on Thu May 09, 2019 1:31 am

What code and pins are you using for the tests? So you can write data to the SD card just not from the GPS? Can you read raw GPS data?

franklin97355

Re: Ultimate GPS doesn't work with 32u4 Datalogger feather?

by yakatz on Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 am

I can't even get raw GPS data on the datalogger, but it does work on the Uno. I tried 0 and 1 with hardware serial Serial1, and several combinations of other pins with software serial. My Uno has LEDs connected to every pin and I can see the pulse of the GPS TX, and when I use pin 13 on the datalogger, I see the same thing, so I know the data is coming in, but I can't get it to actually read the data.

To test, I am using only the sample code (with while (!Serial); added at the top of setup if it wasn't there).
I have copied the code here for reference.

On the datalogger, I can successfully run CardInfo and DigitalInputPullup with a variety of different pins, but when I run echo or parsing, I get no output showing from the GPS module.

When I run the same code on the Uno with (minus CardIno since it doesn't have a card reader), I do get GPS data.

yakatz

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.