Fona as a remote serial interface
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fona as a remote serial interface

by wbuchanan on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi, I am relatively new to Arduino and just purchased a couple of "Feathers" to learn with. What I would like to do is replace my present bluetooth interface (from my computer to my Arduino Due application) with a phone interface. Is it possible to use two "feathers" one on my computer and one attached to the Arduino Due so that I can use the present program on my computer to talk directly to the Arduino Due. Any help/direction is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

wbuchanan

Re: Fona as a remote serial interface

by relaxing on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 am

Whether two cellular modems can talk directly to each other depends on the wireless carrier and network type. I've learned the hard way some network providers will route IP traffic that way, others won't.

You'd be better off to use the IOT tutorials to have one Fona post messages to a cloud server where the other Fona can retrieve it.

This assumes your Fonas are at such a distance that WiFi isn't an option? Or packet radio?

relaxing

by wbuchanan on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi Relaxing, (wish I was relaxing...)

Thanks for the response. What you suggest makes a lot of sense. I was originally thinking I would just go telephone to telephone, but that is not workable. What I have is a system that I need to put into the field, and I need to be able to monitor and control it from my workstation via the internet. So I am trying to figure out how to write code in the feather to access a file (or some other structure made to hold data) in the "cloud" and put data in, and then access that data from my workstation. Eventually I will have 10 to 15 of these systems in the field and I need to monitor/control all of them (or spend my life on the road visiting). I have created an account in gCloud and am now trying to open and write to a file. Any help you can give me is GREATLY appreciated.

wbuchanan

by relaxing on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 am

Hi wb, I'd start by looking through the Adafruit.io tutorials and look for one that's similar to your use case https://learn.adafruit.com/category/adafruit-io

relaxing

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.