Arduino Nano not available in list of Ports on Mac USB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino Nano not available in list of Ports on Mac USB

by atomickid on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 pm

I've been successfully connecting to and running an Arduino Uno on a MacBook Pro running 10.14.5. Arduino IDE 1.8.9. I recently purchased 3 brand new Nanos, and none of them will show up in the Serial Port list, regardless of which Board profile I select. I have also tried a few different USB cables, old and brand new.

All the units power up, and the on-board test program (blinking L) works. I have tried launching the IDE with the units plugged in prior to launching the application as well as after to see if they appear in the list. I also do not currently have any components connected to the boards.

In my system report I can confirm that my machine sees the device plugged into the USB port:

FT232R USB UART:

Product ID: 0x6001
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 6.00
Serial Number: AC0091V0
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: FTDI
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 24
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 90
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Many thanks!

Stephen

atomickid

Re: Arduino Nano not available in list of Ports on Mac USB

by franklin97355 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 pm

You need to select the Arduino Nano board from the board menu. Then take a look at this page.

franklin97355

by atomickid on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 pm

I appreciate the response. I had done that from the start and unfortunately it did not add the Nano to the list of available serial/usb ports. Other posts I’ve read said they’ve had success with the Uno board selected. Either way, it’s not appearing in the list. : \

atomickid

by franklin97355 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 am

What board are you selecting in the boards menu? If the nano is not there you have a corrupt install and should delete and re-download the IDE.

franklin97355

by atomickid on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 am

I’m selecting “Arduino Nano”. That has always been available. The boards do not appear in the Serial Port menu.

atomickid

by atomickid on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:31 am

Hey folks, still struggling to get a solve for this problem. Since I last posted, I purchased another Nano directly from Adafruit, and tried multiple cables, etc... and still these do not show up in the Serial Ports.

I purchased what I suspect is a "knock off" Nano, by some freak chance that unit actually connects. I'd rather not go this route, as I have 5 brand new official Nanos in hand, but they are useless at the moment.

As a last resort I even tried installing the ch 34x USB/serial drivers. This did not improve things, so I have removed that.

The project deadline continues to approach and I'm desperate to find some solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

atomickid

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.