Need help choosing the right Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Need help choosing the right Arduino

by m_baumknecht on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:31 am

hi everyone!

I am planning a project involving 8 - 16 APDS9960 color sensors connected to an Arduino via 1 or 2 TCA9548A multiplexers.

I am not quite sure which Arduino to choose for my project, say if a uno/nano could handle all the data coming in from the sensors via the I2C pin. the problem is that I am not quite sure what to pay attention to: Processor speed, or SRAM/EEPROM/FLASH memory ... is there anything else?

I would imagine the 2048 bytes SRAM from the Uno are full quite quickly, and judging from the tutorials, 2 multiplexers with 16 sensors will produce a lot of code - plus the data coming in from the sensors themselves (I don't actually know how that is handled).

could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to address this problem? or send a link to a good tutorial ...

any help is much appreciated!
markus

m_baumknecht

Re: Need help choosing the right Arduino

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am

Simply reading data from 16 sensors does not require a lot of code or a lot of dynamic memory. The question is, what do you plan to do with the data? If your code requires manipulating large lists or arrays of data, then you may need more dynamic memory.

These sensors are relatively slow, so processor speed is not critical for data acquisition. Again, the question is, what do you plan to do with the data. If it involves extensive heavy computation, you may have a need for more speed.

Another consideration is the programming language. The Arduino Language (C++) is relatively efficient. If you plan to use Python, be aware that there will be considerable processor and memory overhead for the interpreter.

adafruit_support_bill

by m_baumknecht on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 pm

hiya

thanks for your reply!

the data will just be passed on to another programme (MaxMSP) and processed there at a very simple level, so I am guessing not much processing will be involved.

for example: red light ambient value goes up, I use it to manipulate some audio effect parameter in MaxMSP. might have to calculate some kind of average between two variables in between, say red and green ambient light, but I don't know if that counts for heavy processing...

m_baumknecht

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:35 pm

the data will just be passed on to another programme

So 'back-end' communication overhead will be part of the picture as well. Based on what you describe, I'd probably opt for one of the M0 based processors. You could probably fit it into a 32U4 processor like the Leonardo, but the M0 will give it some room to grow if necessary.

We have these in a variety of form-factors. In the Feather line, we also have them with built-in WiFi or Bluetooth modules.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3505
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2772
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3727

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.