Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

SD card...error: Card failed, or not present
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: SD card...error: Card failed, or not present

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:11 am

Shows digital I/O pins 1 and 2 available, but they are really unavailable because they are attached to the Arduino Uno TX/RX for the hardware UART, correct?

The schematic is only for the shield, which does nothing special with pins 0 and 1. The actual availability of pins 0 and 1 will depend on what main board the shield is used with. For the Arduino UNO, pins 0 and 1 are used for serial programming on the chip. So that must be taken into consideration.

Q1: WIRE: How do i fix my i2c connection?
Q3: RTC: How do i get the PCF8523 working?

Try touching up the soldering on the I2C pins. SCL in particular looks a little cold soldered.
i2c_pins.jpg
i2c_pins.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 56 times

Q2: Does this involve a) setting Arduino Network preferences and/or b) updating WiFi101/WiFiNNA firmware/upload Certificates to WiFi module? (Please specify how.)

No. The NINA firmware has nothing to do with the Data Logger Shield.

adafruit_support_carter

by spyropdd on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm

"Try touching up the soldering on the I2C pins. SCL in particular looks a little cold soldered."
This fixed the problem!
Touching up SCL/SDA i2C pins fixed the problem - the PCF8523 RTC is now working fine and set.
But now i need help coding - Your website (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... me-clock-3) has a Code Walkthrough for DS1307 and my code is also set for DS1307

Q: Can I get help to replace code for DS1307 with code for PCF8523 to make my code compatible with my RevC shield?

When i tried this using code from Arduino library PCF8523.ino it did not work for me.
Please help.
Thank you!

spyropdd

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 pm

As a first pass, try just replacing this line:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
RTC_DS1307 RTC; // define the Real Time Clock object

with this:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
RTC_PCF8523 RTC; // define the Real Time Clock object

adafruit_support_carter

by spyropdd on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 pm

OK, that worked - Thanks!
The only problem now is that the Data logging shield internal LED (SPI) is not flashing when the reed switch is tripped. Before, it worked when I had the LED on Digital I/O pin 8, but I want pins 8 and 9 free for reed switches (to total 8 reed switches on Digital I/O pins 2-9.)

Q1: Is it true that I can use Digital I/O pins 2-9 for my reed switches without causing a problem?
Q2: Why is "int ledPin = LED_BUILTIN;" not working for the internal LED (SPI) while "int ledPin = 8;" did work when the LED was on pin 8?
Q3: What would be the code in order to use Data logging shield internal LED1 or LED2 (or SPI) as the internal LED... "int ledPin = __;"?

Thanks!

spyropdd

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm

Please use the available documentation to determine what pins are used and how they may conflict with your specific application.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-data-logger-shield

User LEDs are documented here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... r-leds-3-9
Near Digital #3 and #4

L2 and L1 - these are optional user-LEDs. Connect to any digital pin, pull high to turn on the corresponding LED. The LEDs already have 470 ohm resistors in series.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.