Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Newbee needs help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Newbee needs help

by Bone on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:01 pm

I am wanting to display a number on the ADAFRUIT Quad Alphanumeric Display - White 0.54" Digits w/ I2C Backpack . The number to be displayed is entered into the Arduino Mega and can change. Its not a counter. Ex: Mega says number to be displayed is 268. The display will continue to display 268 until it is told to display 173. 173 will continue to be displayed until another number comes in. It could be 268 again or a totally different number.

I am new to all this. I have searched for examples of what to do but its not very clear.

Simple for most.

Any recommendations on where to start?

I have been reading up on how the board works to start.

Thank you for any help.

Alan

Bone

Re: Newbee needs help

by kcl1s on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:49 pm

We need more info on what you are doing. How is the number getting to the Mega or is it getting calculated? If you break down your project into relevant steps we may be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Also let us know where you are on the learning curve. Code experience? Familiar with the Arduino IDE?

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

by Bone on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Keith - thanks for the reply. The number in question will be delivered to the Mega by an external app. Not sure what the format will be,

Very little programming. Used Basic years ago but all that is gone now.

No experience with the Arduino. Been reading up on it the last few days.

Alan

Bone

by kcl1s on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42 pm

No way to get info from an app to a Mega without extra hardware. You can use BLE bluetooth or wifi but it will not be a beginner level project. If this is a one time project you can probably get someone on the Fiverr or Upwork sites to make something for you. If you want to learn Arduino there are plenty of online tutorials to get you going. It will take time but it is a fun hobby if you like this kind of stuff. If you want to learn let me know and I can list some good resources.

Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.