Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Arduino Mouse/Trackball?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino Mouse/Trackball?

by Hiraghm on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:27 pm

I haven't yet done anything involving Arduino yet, but I'm wondering if this project is possible. From what I've heard of other Arduino projects, it should be...

I just acquired a Tandy 1000HX (PC compatible). It has two Tandy DIN 6 pin joystick ports that are driving me nuts. I can get a Tandy joystick for it, but other than that I hate seeing those ports go to waste. I would like to connect a mouse to it via one of those joystick ports, but the Tandy mice are more rare than hen's teeth.

The ports have 2 analog pins for x and y axes, two pins for button 1 and 2, and then 5v and ground.

At first I wondered if I could build some kind of converter box to connect a standard USB mouse to those ports, using an Arduino?

Then it occurred to me that I might be able to build a custom mouse in a 3D printed case. Instead of using a trackball with physical potentiometers, maybe I could use an LED and a photosensor with digital potentiometers, to make a modern-style laser mouse, again using an Arduino to communicate the movements to the 1000HX?

Any suggestions as to the best way to build such a mouse or mouse interface?

Hiraghm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.