Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Arduino with 2 analog outputs?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino with 2 analog outputs?

by Hiraghm on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:51 am

I posted a thread about a week ago asking about an arduino-based mouse/trackball for my Tandy 1000hx using its custom game port(s).

I've done some research and decided to go another route.

What I want to do is connect a 3DoF accelerometer to an arduino, and then have the arduino output appropriate analog information to the gameport (maybe after a bit of massaging). I had this one in mind... https://www.adafruit.com/product/4344
I'd need an analog out for the x and y axes, and then two digital outputs for the mouse buttons.

As I think I said in my original post, this would be my first Arduino project (though I've been tinkering with Raspberry PIes), so forgive my ignorance.

Can anyone recommend an appropriate Adafruit Arduino board for this project? I'll just need the Arduino (with 2 analog outputs) and the accelerometer, and possibly a small battery(?). I'll have to check to see if I can draw power from the game ports.

I've seen Adafruit tutorials on using a 9DoF board to control 3D objects in software; if this project works out, I may build myself a USB 3D mouse for my modern computer.

Any guidance would be most welcome. Thanks!

Hiraghm

Re: Arduino with 2 analog outputs?

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:56 am

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino with 2 analog outputs?

by BryonMiller on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:38 am

As I understand the Tandy joystick interface they put 5vdc on the top of a pot with the bottom grounded. So the pot wiper sent 0-5 volts back to the machine. The M4 boards are all 0-3.3 volts. Unless you add an op-amp to boost the output some of the games may not entirely work. You might want to test this out with a variable voltage source before you commit to a design.

BryonMiller

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.