Metro M4, Comms Port Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jos149

Metro M4, Comms Port Arduino

Post by jos149 »

Hello,

My Metro M4 Express is recognized in the Arduino IDE, on Com 8, then when I upload a sketch, it says it cannot find it (basically disappears). Once it disappears the green LED (when pressing the reset button) starts flashing.

Am I missing something? It was working for 2 weeks now it is doing this while I am trying to communicate to a PN532 NFC hat from Waveshare.

Jackie

pcmofo

Re: Metro M4, Comms Port Arduino

Post by pcmofo »

Not sure if this helps but I believe the M0/M4 boards need a double tap to put them in boot loader mode to load Arduino code. Once you get a sketch on there you might not need to do it again. I am switching from Python to Arduino on a M4 board and that fixed my issue.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Hi jos149,

Is it possible you are selecting a board to program from the Arduino menu that is very similar to your Metro M4 Express, but not the same? eg. M4 Feather Express....that is one way this issue can show up.

I would try uploading a basic blink sketch and see if that can upload and run, then go back to working on yours.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... rduino-ide

jos149

Post by jos149 »

@pcmofo thanks for this input... on the protrinket it is same, you must enter bootload mode. But with the M4 I thought you were supposed to add the UF2 to make the version of the board newer in order to use it with Arduino IDE... when you double click the reset button to enter bootload mode, the Arduino IDE actually looses the com port under tools and won't appear again... But I can upload to the board other simple scripts such as a serial pass through once I've added the UF2 package onto the board: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... bootloader

With this being said, if I upload the UF2 Bootloader should I set it to Adafruit Pygamer Metro M4 Express? That is the ID though I am using a Metro M4 Express.

Any suggestions?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Are you able to select Metro M4 Express as your programming device from the Arduino menu and for bootloading. I know our docs screenshot could use an update.
adafruit_products_availboards.png
adafruit_products_availboards.png (125.76 KiB) Viewed 91 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”