Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

FifteenStep sequencer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FifteenStep sequencer

by PatMaximum on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Been building a development setup for playing around with Midi featuring some Neopixel sticks, Neotrellises, encoders and other goodies and discovered the Fifteenstep Sequencer found here:-

https://github.com/adafruit/FifteenStep

Firstly, using Win7 and IDE 1.8.13, I tried the basic example, adjusted the code to point to my hardware and uploaded it to a MEGA.
The Led blinked, Midi Clock was emitted and note messages were emitted when the button was pressed but no note messages seemed to be recorded or if they were then they were not being played back by any sequencer.

Next, I added an MPR121 breakout to my Teensy 3.2 based dev kit and had a crack at making sense of the Neo_MPR121 example however, not having the necessary USBMIDI hardware, copy pasted the Serial Midi handler from the basic example.

Compiled/uploaded, reboot sees it start up, 16 blinkenlights. All pads work, all command modes work, Midi Clock messages are emitted as well as note messages when pads are touched but exactly like the basic example, no sequence of note messages is output.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for help to find the last piece of the puzzle, I'd love to rattle the floorboards with it.

PatMaximum

Re: FifteenStep sequencer

by PatMaximum on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm

Got it fully working and for the sake of the exercise with the FortySevenEffects Midi library and added Midi note and CC input.

Unfortunately, Fifteensteps generates loads of orphaned notes which might be ok for percussion but some synths do not handle many orphaned notes well.

PatMaximum

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.