Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

UNLOCK WINDOWS WITH ARDUINO & FINGERPRINT READER
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

UNLOCK WINDOWS WITH ARDUINO & FINGERPRINT READER

by SakisL on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 am

Good morning, first of all sorry for my long message and for my English.
I would like your help in choosing the right products. I do not know from electronics but I hope with your help I can make what I want.

I am building an office and I want to integrate on its surface a fingerprint reader with which I can enter windows when I open the pc.

I would like to make a construction that does not have to interfere with the computer motherboard with cables and so on. I would rather connect it simply to a USB which from what I understand is done with the Arduino UNO which has a USB port.

If it supports it, I want to put a fingerprint like this https://www.adafruit.com/product/4750 . I do not know how to build the library. I hope there is ready.

**Ideally I would like a solution like this:**

To "pin" a fingerprint reader on the Arduino, to connect the Arduino to the computer with a USB cable and then to install on the PC what is needed so that I can unlock the windows with a fingerprint

I would also like to put a small screen that shows the message "PUT A FINGER TO UNLOCK". "Unlocked" "Welcome" etc.

Is it easy to tell me what I will need to procure to make what I told you above?

Sorry if I stunned you and I hope you can help me.

SakisL

Re: UNLOCK WINDOWS WITH ARDUINO & FINGERPRINT READER

by blnkjns on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 am

Is security important?
Incorporating biometrics is no easy thing, and offloading it to an USB device is even harder.
It might be no surprise that phone SOC's take care of a lot of the challenges, and Apple went even further by building a "secure enclave" in the form of the T2 chip.
1) You need to make the decision to grant permission inside the computer, it may not happen on the USB device. For example sending out the regular passphrase through USB-HID when the microcontroller compared the print with a stored version would be totally stupid.
2) The fingerprint may not be stored in plain format, but for example in a hashed/salted form, which means the reader should be able to produce a similar hash before transmitting any data. So you need a microcontroller with tamper-proof security logic, some M4's offer built in logic for these tasks.
3) You need to audit the process and be open to address design faults.
Guess it is easier to stick to proven solutions, as Windows Hello or finger print readers built-in to Mac computers.

blnkjns

by SakisL on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:11 am

Hello, thank you for your answer. I basically need one like this , but since I can't place it inside the desk, I thought of making one with the arduino, where I can put the reader inside the desk

SakisL

by blnkjns on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 am

Or add an extension cable to that solution.

blnkjns

by SakisL on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 am

I want to make this

SakisL

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.