Prop Maker Light Saber - LED Button
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Prop Maker Light Saber - LED Button

by deweyright on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi. My son and I are trying to make the prop maker lightsaber project. We're following the tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/lightsaber-featherwing) but have a question about wiring the LED button. We got red and green LED buttons (https://www.adafruit.com/product/482) as opposed to the RBG. The difference seems to be 5 contacts on our buttons vs. 6 shown in the tutorial and on the RBG button (https://learn.adafruit.com/lightsaber-f ... ons-wiring).

Could someone help us figure out how to use our buttons to wire to the feather wing? Thanks in advance.[url][/url]

deweyright

Re: Prop Maker Light Saber - LED Button

by dastels on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm

There's a connection diagram for the switch on the product page you linked to. At the bottom of the technical details section.

The two large outside pins are for the LED. Get the polarity right. I can't see whether they are labeled in the photos but I suspect so since the switch pins are (the 3 smaller ones to one side). You'll want to use the C (common) and NO (normally open, next to C) connections.. no polarity to worry about on those.

The RGB button in the guide is a momentary pushbutton, the the one you linked to is a press-on/press-off type. That may require minor code changes to accommodate.

Dave

dastels

by deweyright on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am

Thank you for the quick reply. In the tutorial the LED button wiring is shown as:

RGB LED Button Connections
SWITCH pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to signal on Switch
GND pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to ground on Switch
RED pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to RGB LED red cathode
GREEN pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to RGB LED green cathode
BLUE pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to RGB LED blue cathode
V+ pin on Prop-Maker FeatherWing to RGB LED common anode

I see all of these 6 pins on the middle part of the feather wing. But if I'm going to use my green or red on/off button, just so I'm clear I should use the large outside pins on the button to connect to either the green or red pins on the feather wing on the top of the board (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3988) and not the middle section like is shown in the tutorial diagram. Is that correct?

Assuming that's right, for the other 2 pins you mentioned on my button (C and NO) which pin on the feather board do those connect to? And does the last pin (NC-1) does that also need to be connected or just the LED and the C and NO? Sorry, new to this and still learning. Really appreciate the help.

deweyright

by dastels on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:24 am

The anode of the LED will connect to the V+ on the PropMaker, the cathode to one of the other LED connections of the PropMaker. It doesn't really matter since you'll just be using a single PWM signal to drive it. Though for clarity, using the RED or GREEN connection as appropriate would be good. So just like as with the RGB LED, but only using RED or GREEN.

For the switch, C and NO will connect to the switch connections: one to SWITCH and the other to GND. It doesn't matter which connects to which. since the switch isn't polarized like the LED. The switch's NC (normally closed) connection is unused.

No need to apologize, we all new to something and learning.

Dave

dastels

by deweyright on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:37 am

Awesome! Thanks Dave. Appreciate you detailing this out for us. My son and I will give it a go tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again.

deweyright

by deweyright on Sat May 01, 2021 11:04 am

Dave - so I was able to get the LED button wired using your instructions. I'm setting up the red button so I soldered to the cathode on the button to the red on the board.

I dragged the project code and the .wav files to the CIRCUITPY drive (https://learn.adafruit.com/lightsaber-f ... g/software). When the feather m4 plugged into my computer the light on the board flashes yellow, blue, then turns green before cycling through again. flashing blue and yellow. on a loop.

the led button doesn't light up or seem to do anything. no sound coming out when I nudge the board. Is there something with the python code that I need to adjust given this button set up? Thanks in advance for the help.

deweyright

by deweyright on Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 pm

Dave - still haven't been able to solve this issue. Checked my wiring and everything looks good. Any idea why i'm getting the flashing colors vs. the solid green?

deweyright

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.