Add Laird Pinnacle 100 to Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Add Laird Pinnacle 100 to Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino

by eriklins on Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 pm

Hello,

I got a Pinnacle 100 DVK from Laird (https://www.lairdconnect.com/wireless-m ... th-5-modem) which is based on nRF52480 plus Sierra Wireless HL7800 NB-IoT/Lte-M modem. Since the nRF52840 is supported by Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino, I wanted to give it a try to program the DVK with Arduino instead of Zepyhr what seems to be the suggested way by Laird. I added a board file and variant.cpp/.h files and it worked so far. I used the nRF52840 PCA10056 DK files and bootloader as starting point. I would also make a dedicated bootloader for it to use e.g. one of the onboard buttons for force the bootloader into DFU mode or so. What would be the best way to add/integrate this into Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino? I could fork the github project and make a pull request later. Provided there is some interest and Adafruit is interested in having those non-Adafruit boards added.

Cheers,
ER!K

eriklins

Re: Add Laird Pinnacle 100 to Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon May 31, 2021 8:54 pm

We don't manage the Arduino board support packages, and limit our own board support packages to devices we have in the shop.

You're welcome to talk to the folks in the Arduino forums to see if they're interested in adding support to the baseline packages:

http://forum.arduino.cc/

adafruit_support_mike

by eriklins on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:56 am

Hello Mike,

okay, thank you, understood. I'm not so deep into Arduino yet... Since the nRF52840 is already supported, why would there additional support needed to be added to core for my board?

If I would like to share my stuff later, what would be the best way? From your answer I suppose you won't add the Pinnacle 100 DVK to Adafruit nRF Arduino lib, right? In that case I would need to fork your project, add my stuff and make it available then instead of making a pull request? Or would it be possible to just make the board related files available through an additional own board manager URL and still use this with your Bluefruit library?

Thanks and kind regards,
ER!K

eriklins

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm

nRF5840 support means the IDE knows how to compile code for that microcontroller. Board support means the IDE knows what bootloader is programmed on the chip, how to talk to it, which pins are assigned to digital GPIO, ADC inputs, protocols like I2C and SPI, etc.

The Arduino IDE handles all that with a collection of files in the Arduino15 directory. Each vendor who makes board support packages has their own directory, with 'hardware' and 'tools' subdirectories. The 'tools' directory contains any compilers, linkers, and other programs the IDE will need to talk to a microcontroller. The 'hardware' directory contains a subdirectory for each kind of microcontroller the vendor supports. Those all have what's known as the 'Arduino core': a set of code and header files for the bootloader and all the convenience functions of the Arduino environment. It also has device-specific versions of things like the SPI and Wire libraries, which are completely different from one microcontroller to the next.

There's also a directory called 'variants' with subdirectories of files that describe specific boards.. the information like bootloader and pin assignments that I mentioned above.

'Arduino support for the nRF52840' means the 'arduino' vendor directory has the tools and core for nRF52840 microcontrollers, and variant files for all the nRF52840 boards they make. 'Adafruit support for the nRF52840' means our vendor directory has the tools, core, and libraries we use, plus variants for all the boards we make.

If the Arduino team want to build support for the Laird Pinnacle 100 into their board support package, making it work with a standard install of the Arduino IDE, that's their call. Ideally, Laird would make their own board support package since it's their board. It doesn't make sense to add it to our board support package because we don't make or sell that board.

adafruit_support_mike

by eriklins on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:08 am

Thanks for the extensive answer, made things much clearer.

Cheers,
ER!K

eriklins

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.