MotorShield v2.3, How to connect my Brushless DC geared moto

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Janbolo48

MotorShield v2.3, How to connect my Brushless DC geared moto

Post by Janbolo48 »

Arduino UNO R3 with MotorShield v2.3, soldering complete.
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg (178.99 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Motor is "Aobbmok High Speed 12V 600RPM Small Brushless Geared DC Motor" link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZ ... UTF8&psc=1
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg (123.07 KiB) Viewed 310 times
I am ready to connect my motor to the MotorShield v2.3. Here is the wiring diagram from Aobbmok.
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Please let me know the correct placement of each wire to correctly connect my motor to the MotorShield.

Thanks and Best Moments!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MotorShield v2.3, How to connect my Brushless DC geared

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The motor shield is not designed for running brushless motors. Based on the wiring diagram posted, it looks like your motor has a built-in controller.

A real data sheet from the manufacturer would be helpful. But it looks like you would supply 12v power directly to pins 1 and 2. Then connect pin 3 to a GPIO pin on your Arduino to select the direction. And connect pin 5 to a PWM pin to control the speed. ("0v to 5v PWM" makes absolutely no sense. I suspect that they mean 0%-100% duty cycle at 5v).

And it looks like pin 4 might be a feedback pin with 9 pulses per revolution. You could connect that to any GPIO pin to monitor speed.

Janbolo48

Post by Janbolo48 »

Thanks Bill :)

Are you saying I should try the wiring you suggested and the motor might work correctly?

If so, I will send another reply to check my understanding of your wiring suggestions from the motor to the MotorShield.

If not, please suggest a dc motor that will work with the MotorShield with about the same speed range?
The motor will be turning a 1 lb helix mobile. Not much torque needed.

Best Moments,
Jan

adafruit_support_bill

From what I can decipher from the wiring diagram provided, I suspect it should work connected as described above.

Amazon also has brushed DC gearmotors rated for similar speeds. But like many offerings on Amazon, the technical specs are a bit vague. I suspect this one would work with the shield. But it does not mention the stall current, so I'd want to test that before connecting a significant load to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Greartisan-Elect ... 02-8794038

Pololu carries a good selection of quality motors with accurate technical specifications. This one is rated for 580 RPM @ 12v and the stall current is 0.9A which is safe for use with the shield.
https://www.pololu.com/product/3250

Janbolo48

Post by Janbolo48 »

Thank you for the pointer to Pololu! I may return my Tsiny motor if it does not function well and purchase the motor you referenced.

Before doing so, is it possible to connect the Tsiny motor to the MotorShield. If so, Please advise which connectors I should use to connect the Tsiny motor to the MotorShield.

1. Red, power +
2. Black, power -
3. White, change of direction
4. Yellow, pulse signal
5. Blue, PWM

If not possible, I will return the Tsiny motor and purchase the Pololu motor. Thank you very much for your quick replies!

adafruit_support_bill

is it possible to connect the Tsiny motor to the MotorShield.
It is possible to physically make your connections to the shield board. But you would not actually be using the shield to control the motor. You would just be using the Arduino GPIO pin signals via the breakout holes on the board.

Janbolo48

Post by Janbolo48 »

Thank you for helping me understand there is N0 "brushless" DC motor support on the MotorShield v2.3.
Thanks too for the pointer to the pololu company and their products -- impressive!

I will purchase the https://www.pololu.com/product/3250

All the Best,
Jan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”