v2.3 Motor shield conflicts with BLuetooth?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mmollen1

v2.3 Motor shield conflicts with BLuetooth?

Post by mmollen1 »

HI All,

The bluetooth radio in my computer recently started to fail. It would work after restart for ~20 minutes then fail again (no keyboard, no mouse, error 43 in device manager). This occurred long after I installed arduino IDE The last thing I downloaded and ran was the motor shield library.

I must have reloaded the marvell avastar bluetooth radio driver 20 times. Still, 20 minutes until failure. Eventually it stopped recovering at all after restart. I assumed "old computer, radio is broken." So I got a new one. No problem til I downloaded arduino IDE and library. Same problem. Uninstalled IDE. no problem. Switched to cloud IDE. Same problem.

IDE didn't cause this until motor shield
I can't see how it it's possible for the motor shield library to affect the bluetooth radio, but I am a user, not an engineer.

COmputer #1: MS Surface pro
Computer #2: MS Surface pro 5th ed. Unopened, but probably on the shelf for a while. Bought from amazon.
Windows 10 for both, as updated as Microsoft will let me be

Even if this is not related to the adafruit product, I'd be grateful if someone had some diagnostic direction I can take for the bluetooth.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: v2.3 Motor shield conflicts with BLuetooth?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

mmollen1 wrote:I can't see how it it's possible for the motor shield library to affect the bluetooth radio, but I am a user, not an engineer.
I can’t think of any reason why the Motor Shield library would have an effect on a computer’s BLE radio.

That code doesn’t run on the computer. It’s just a text file the computer reads when it compiles code for the microcontroller. The compiled version diesn’t run on the computer either.. it’s just another text file the IDE sends to the microcontroller’s bootloader. It has less capacity to mess with your OS than the average piece of email.

The Arduino IDE does check for available Serial ports it can use, but that’s the closest connection to BLE that I can think of.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”