BME280 replacement doesn't work

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spiney

BME280 replacement doesn't work

Post by spiney »

Hello I built a weather station with Adafruit components some years ago. (2003?) The original BME280 stopped reading humidity years ago. - showing a continuous 100%
I switched on the weather startion after 2 years in storage and it fired up and showed temp and pressure, but still Humidity at 100%.
I bought a new BME 280 from Adafruit with the stemma cable.
I have just connected it but my display shows nothing.
My original PCB had a small capacitor, presumably across the supply. That is no longer in circuit.
Does the new BME 280 recognise the original Arduino libraries, installed years ago, or do I need to update them?
I have not connected the laptop and reloaded the program - being unsure of which program to load from my storage. And having forgotten how to do it!! (I am 80 years old!)
No doubt the Arduino program on the laptop will be very out-of-date.
Regards,
Norman

adafruit_support_carter

Re: BME280 replacement doesn't work

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

In general, it should work. If you are using the I2C pins, then the STEMMA connector should be equivalent to the pins used on the older style breakout. It's probably something simple. Best to actually hook things back up and try troubleshooting. That will allow looking at the Serial Monitor output and see where it's not happy.

spiney

Post by spiney »

Thank you Mr Carter,
I tried theusual method and turned it off and then back on again - the screen lit up with the current figures, which it had not done before. There is a delay written in the program to await the top of the hour so that records are taken on the hour. The clock has drifted a bit but after the delay the screen showed it's 3 different displays in sequence, showing max and min and yesterday's figures. So all seems well and I must connect it properly, place the sensors outside and connect the tipper-raingauge.
Now I must connect to the laptop, and reset the time.
Thank you for your reply,
Regards,
Norman

spiney

Post by spiney »

So having found that the new BME 280 worked with my Arduino Mega weather station, I laid a 4 x 2 twisted pair unscreened network cable to a convenient telephone connection box outside the house.
The twisted pair cable is about 1.5 metres between Arduino and the BME280. It lies alongside the telephone/Internet landline for about 0.4 metres. SDA and SCL are together in one twisted pair and the supply uses a second twisted pair.
When I switched on, I found that the display did not light up and the monitor gave several readings to the effect "Can't detect sensor, check your cables."
The cable seems to be OK and resistance checks show no open circuit, nor short circuit. (3 of the other two twisted pairs cores go on much further to the rain gauge.)

I took the Arduino assembly back to the workshop and connected the spare BME280; the display fires up with the initial page and after the top of the hour steps through the 3 different displays.
Can you advise please, if the cable length and/or the proximity to the ADSL land line could be the reason that Arduino can't see the BME280.
Is there any component I can add to solve the problem?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I2C was really only meant for very short distances between components on a circuit board. For dealing with cable length issues, you can try better different cabling, different pull up resistors values, or something like this:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4756

It's something for which the answer, when there are issues, is use case specific.

robertcarell

Post by robertcarell »

Yeah, it should work with old libraries, in fact, I don't update my Arduino libraries, coz it happened to me.

Once I was working with a fingerprint sensor with arduino nano and when I updated the libraries it stoped working.

So, the problem is somewhere else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”