Documentation for Adafruit Libraries

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rickseiden

Documentation for Adafruit Libraries

Post by rickseiden »

Hello,

Where can I find documentation for Adafruit Arduino Libraries? Specifically, I'm looking for documentation on the Adafruit_SH110X library for use with the MacroPad that came with the last AdaBox.

I know that there are learning modules on it, there are examples for the libraries, and the source is available on gitHub (and in my libraries folder), but I'm looking for actual documentation. Something that lists out what the functions are and what they do.

For example, I know that I can use .setTextSize(1) to set the text, and setCursor(0,0) to put the cursor in the upper left hand corner of the display, but how many rows and columns are there at text size 1? Or, maybe, how big is a character at text size 1? What other functions are available to me?

The problem I have with the learning modules and the examples is that they only cover the basics, and don't really explain the details. The problem I have with the source code is that not all of us are skilled enough in Arduino programming to decipher the well written but complex code that is needed to author an efficient library.

Thanks in advance
Rick

dastels

Re: Documentation for Adafruit Libraries

Post by dastels »

Documentation for CircuitPython libraries is pretty good, that for C++/Arduino libraries seems to be somewhat more inconsistent. In many cases your best option beyond the guides/examples is the source.

Dave

rickseiden

Post by rickseiden »

dastels wrote:Documentation for CircuitPython libraries is pretty good, that for C++/Arduino libraries seems to be somewhat more inconsistent. In many cases your best option beyond the guides/examples is the source.

Dave
Dave,

One of Adafruit's main goals, as I understand it, is to make making easier. Having beginners search through the source code that was written by experts is not going to accomplish that goal.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I agree. I don't have an inside scoop or anything, so this is somewhat guesswork. The C++/Arduino stuff is fairly old in some cases and maybe docs didn't get the same attention as those for CircuitPython are getting. There are also more standards around documentation in the Python community which no doubt helps as well.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”