Arduino IDE issue

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
_phillip

Arduino IDE issue

Post by _phillip »

The software was working perfectly, then for seeming no reason would (1) not upload, and now it will not even compile.

I was prompted to update libraries and boards, which I did do, but this was no help whatsoever. Here is part of the error messages which may help decipher the problem:

Code: Select all

talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01:469:49: error: array must be initialized with a brace-enclosed initializer
         Serial.println(F(mqtt.connectErrorString(ret)));
/Users/PhillipBriles/Documents/Arduino/Talaver-FINAL-project ƒ/working/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01.ino:469:24: note: in expansion of macro 'F'
         Serial.println(F(mqtt.connectErrorString(ret)));
                        ^
/Users/PhillipBriles/Documents/Arduino/Talaver-FINAL-project ƒ/working/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01.ino: In function 'void read_tank_level(float)':
talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01:532:10: error: 'mySerial' was not declared in this scope
      if (mySerial.available())
          ^~~~~~~~
/Users/PhillipBriles/Documents/Arduino/Talaver-FINAL-project ƒ/working/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01.ino:532:10: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'
      if (mySerial.available())
          ^~~~~~~~
          Serial
/Users/PhillipBriles/Documents/Arduino/Talaver-FINAL-project ƒ/working/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01.ino: In function 'void setup()':
talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01:673:5: error: 'mySerial' was not declared in this scope
     mySerial.begin(9600);
     ^~~~~~~~
/Users/PhillipBriles/Documents/Arduino/Talaver-FINAL-project ƒ/working/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01/talavera_final_20SEP21-final-01.ino:673:5: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'
     mySerial.begin(9600);
     ^~~~~~~~
     Serial
exit status 1
initializer fails to determine size of '__c'
I have also tried a copy of the sketch I was using and got the same results.

I am using the latest IDE - 1.8.13

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Arduino IDE issue

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Does a basic blink example upload and run OK?

_phillip

Post by _phillip »

Thanks for getting back to me.
This is what I got when I ran the Blink example:

Sketch uses 3952 bytes (13%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 149 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2411 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:152)
	at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
	at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
	at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
	at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2055)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port '/dev/cu.PhillipAnthonyBrilessiP'.
	at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:107)
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:136)
	... 5 more
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - /dev/cu.PhillipAnthonyBrilessiP; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
	at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
	at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:101)
	... 6 more
Thanks.

_phillip

Post by _phillip »

I forgot to note that I have restarted my computer twice as well. No help.

_phillip

Post by _phillip »

Out of curiosity, I tried the same Blink example sketch on another Feather MO WIFI and the result was the same.

So it appears that this issue is not a board or sketch issue.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It looks like maybe something else is claiming the com port:

Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - /dev/cu.PhillipAnthonyBrilessiP; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
Since this used to work and then stopped, can you correlate that to anything? Did you install or update some 3rd party software like anti-virus?

As another way to test, if you have access to another PC, try uploading using that one.

_phillip

Post by _phillip »

Ok, you nailed it. I ran the same exact sketch on my iMac and it compiled and uploaded as it normally should. I also tested several other similar (copies) of the same sketch and the results were identical.

And, to answer your other questions; I have not upgraded any software or downloaded any new software of late. About a month ago I downloaded 'Fritzing' and got around to launching it several days ago. I used it briefly and shut it down. My compile issue began several days after that, so I do not think that has anything to do with my compile issue.

My laptop is still running macOS High Sierra v10.13.2, so I may upgrade it and see if this will help. I would much prefer to use a laptop as opposed to a 27" iMac.

I have also reinstalled the latest Arduino IDE, which was no help. At least I now know where the problem is.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”