Metro Mini died an early death - can't load code

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Denny68FLH

Metro Mini died an early death - can't load code

Post by Denny68FLH »

Hi - I've been really happy with all of the cool stuff I've gotten from Adafruit recently. I did have one small problem, though.
I purchased a pair of Metro Minis last month (order number 2659091-1991836119). They both worked at first, but one of them became unresponsive after running a few sample programs.
It seemed like the bootloader might be toast, so I tried Nick Gammon's excellent Atmega_Board_Programmer, but it always fails to enter programming mode.
The bad Mini does appear on my computer as the CP2104 USB to UART bridge controller, but I am unable to program it or load the bootloader again.
Any ideas? ;-)

mikeysklar

Re: Metro Mini died an early death - can't load code

Post by mikeysklar »

It sounds like the bootloader might have gotten into a stuck state. You can upload a new bootloader from another Arduino based controller using the Metro Mini SPI pins.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/pmwiki.php?n= ... ArduinoISP

Denny68FLH

Post by Denny68FLH »

mikeysklar wrote:It sounds like the bootloader might have gotten into a stuck state. You can upload a new bootloader from another Arduino based controller using the Metro Mini SPI pins.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/pmwiki.php?n= ... ArduinoISP
Thanks, mikeysklar - I followed the tutorial exactly and got the ArduinoISP program running on a working Arduino (another Metro Mini), and it's hooked up to the bad Mini. I've learned a lot about ArduinoIDE, but I can't seem to burn a new bootloader into my bad Metro Mini.
The "Heartbeat" LED is pulsing, and the "Programming" LED lights up briefly when I try "Burn Bootloader".
During the attempt to burn the bootloader, the "L" LED on the bad Mini flashes dimly for a second, and ArduinoIDE shows the following error message:

"Arduino: 1.8.15 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Uno"

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Error while burning bootloader."

(end of error message)

Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks -
Denny

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

It looks like you have selected an Arduino UNO as your board, but you are using two Metro Mini to do this process correct?
"Arduino: 1.8.15 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Uno"
Select the items in the Tools > Board and Serial Port menus that correspond to the board you are using as the programmer (not the board being programmed).
Make sure you are selecting the correct board.

Denny68FLH

Post by Denny68FLH »

As far as I know, I am selecting the correct board. The Metro Mini is listed as being a derivative of the Arduino UNO R3 reference design, so in ArduinoIDE the correct board type should be "Arduino UNO".
When I program the working Metro Mini, I use "Arduino UNO" as the board type and it works perfectly.
If this is not correct, please tell me what board type I should be selecting.

I don't think this is the issue. I don't think I am selecting the wrong board.
I tried selecting several different board types just to see what would happen. I get the same error, "Yikes! Invalid device signature".

I think my Metro Mini is non-functional. I appreciate all of your suggestions.
I have spent a lot of time on this, and it has been very educational, but I believe that my Metro Mini is defective.

Denny68FLH

Post by Denny68FLH »

There seem to be a few other Adafruit customers who have recently received Metro Minis that will not load code anymore.
I think you should look into the possibility that some defective units have been sent to customers.
My problems sound very similar to other recent forum posts - the Metro Mini show the green power LED only, and is unable to load any code.

Other similar posts:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=184184
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=182340

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm on the other recent threads for the metro mini as well.

I've suggested replacements as we can do for yours as you had mentioned it was purchased within the last month of opening this thread.

Go ahead and send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a replacement include your order number and a link to this forum thread.

Thank you for taking the time to troubelshoot this and attempt to reprogram the board with another.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”