Wire Gauge Limit

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WireGuy123

Wire Gauge Limit

Post by WireGuy123 »

Hello,
I purchased Hook-up Wire Spool Set - 22AWG Solid Core - 6 x 25 ft product ID 1311 recently and planned on using it for a project but wanted to know any current limits I should be aware of. I plan on stripping, soldering, then putting heat shrink tubing around the connection points to make 3 75ft long cables which should be able to power a LED light strip through an Arduino. I plan on using this system in a non visible location in my home and wanted to make sure I avoided any electrical hazards. Thank you for your help in advance. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I couldn't see anything about wiring on the forum boards. Any other specs like resistance per spool of wiring would be appreciated.
-Nick

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wire Gauge Limit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You probably want to use something heavier for a LED strip. For a run that long, I would not put more than about 1A through 22AWG wire. Depending on the length and current draw for the strip, you may want to consider installing fuses as well.

For a permanent home installation, I'd consult an electrician familiar with the low-voltage wiring codes for your locale.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”