Feather nrf52840 Express does not run code properly

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PhilippCaspari

Feather nrf52840 Express does not run code properly

Post by PhilippCaspari »

Hey there technical support team,

I think I have a broken board. The most basic stuff does not even work like a blink sketch. The board does not respond to adruino code like this:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(10, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(10, LOW);
  delay(1000);
}
Also "Serial.println" commands get ignored by the board on a regular basis
I tried absolutely everything regarding hardware (cabels, powersupply, ...)AND software (multiple Bootloader upgrades manually with cmd and through arduino ide, multiple driver deinstalations and instalations, as well as the whole arduino ide) to fix this problem. No matter what I try, hte board does not behave in the intended way...

PhilippCaspari

Re: Feather nrf52840 Express does not run code properly

Post by PhilippCaspari »

I have another question to the hardware of the nrf52840 feather express. Where in the documentation can we find, the physical representations (actual hardware pins on the board) to the promissed 12 GPIO pins?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Pinout information is here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... er/pinouts

Can you provide more info on what is happening when you try to upload a sketch. Is it compiling OK? Does it seem to upload OK and then not run? Something else?

PhilippCaspari

Post by PhilippCaspari »

To the first answer regarding the 12 GPIO PWM pins: The documentation does not provide this information, thats why I am asking. The documentation just says quote: "Any GPIO pin can be configured as a PWM output, using the dedicated PWM block." Again, which are the physical representations of these 12 GPIO PWM Pins and how to adress them in code? The board has pins maked with numbers A0 to A5 and 5 to 13 (leaving out 7 and 8). Yes, I can simply test each of the physical pins for its functionality, but saving me this work is the responsibility of a good documentation.

To the second question: The code compiles and uploads succesfully, but only after some tricks. I used the provided blueart test example code, it uploads fine and the board stays available at the port selection, however it does not execute the serial commands written in the example sketch. Secondly, whenever I upload my own sketches (simple ones for test purposes like shown above), the board disappears from the port selection and is only available again after doing the "manual" bootloader update via the windows cmd.exe . Without doing this the board remains inaccessible.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The board has pins maked with numbers A0 to A5 and 5 to 13 (leaving out 7 and 8)
These are how they would be addressed in code as well.

pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
That sets the pin labeled 10 to output. If you wanted to use A0 instead, then:

pinMode(A0, OUTPUT);
etc.

Are you seeing the loss of port even with uploading the basic Blink example?

PhilippCaspari

Post by PhilippCaspari »

Thank you for your resoponse. Yes I am seeing the loss of port when I upload the basic blink sketch, like previously stated.

PhilippCaspari

Post by PhilippCaspari »

Regarding the pins, I was expecting something like this in the documentation. I am leaving this here for other people who may find this helpful:
[img]
https://ibb.co/thKtnCk
[/img]

PhilippCaspari

Post by PhilippCaspari »

Another important question that is not answered in the refered documentation webpage for the module ist, if the board features internal pullup resistors for input pins, or if you have to wire external resistors to prevent damage to the board. Can you answer this please?

hathach

Post by hathach »

@PhilippCaspari that is a bit strange, I am maintainer of the arduino for nrf52. Would you mind providing more details for reproducing and troubleshooting this
- Your PC OS e.g windows 10 or 7
- Your Arduino IDE version
- The nRF52 BSP version, if it is not latest please update it to latest which is 1.1.0
- When entering the bootloader mode with double reset, there is an INFO_UF2.TXT file, would you paste the file contents here
- Please upload your simplest sketch file here so that we could try it out. I know you post the code, this is just to make sure there is nothing missing in the puzzle.

PhilippCaspari

Post by PhilippCaspari »

Hi hathach, thank you for takking on this problem. Your requested information is collected here:
- PC OS is Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
- Arduino IDE Version 1.8.16
- the nRF52 BSP Version is the latest (1.1.0)
- the info from the text file:
UF2 Bootloader 0.6.2 lib/nrfx (v2.0.0) lib/tinyusb (0.10.1-293-gaf8e5a90) lib/uf2 (remotes/origin/configupdate-9-gadbb8c7)
Model: Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express
Board-ID: nRF52840-Feather-revD
SoftDevice: S140 version 6.1.1
Date: Sep 10 2021
- and the simplest file I have tried:
Attachments

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gogara

Post by Gogara »

Same problem here.
I'm sending informations hathach asked for:
- PC OS Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
- Arduino IDE 1.8.8
- NRF BSP version 1.1.0
- UF2 txt file: UF2 Bootloader 0.6.2 lib/nrfx (v2.0.0) lib/tinyusb (0.10.1-293-gaf8e5a90) lib/uf2 (remotes/origin/configupdate-9-gadbb8c7)
- I won't attach code, when I use blinky example from nrf52 library, after uploading example I'm unable to see device. Device is not seen in Device Manager or any other program. LED is blinking until I press RESET button twice (example is working).

Gogara

Post by Gogara »

Gogara wrote:Same problem here.
I'm sending informations hathach asked for:
- PC OS Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
- Arduino IDE 1.8.8
- NRF BSP version 1.1.0
- UF2 txt file: UF2 Bootloader 0.6.2 lib/nrfx (v2.0.0) lib/tinyusb (0.10.1-293-gaf8e5a90) lib/uf2 (remotes/origin/configupdate-9-gadbb8c7)
- I won't attach code, when I use blinky example from nrf52 library, after uploading example I'm unable to see device. Device is not seen in Device Manager or any other program. LED is blinking until I press RESET button twice (example is working).
EDIT: Upgraded Arduino IDE to 1.8.16, everything seems to work for now. Sometimes having port change (example port 7 while uploading code, and next moment is port 8).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”