Arduino - Multiple Matrices on same NeoPixel strip?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
feet first

Arduino - Multiple Matrices on same NeoPixel strip?

Post by feet first »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck programing multiple matrices into a NeoPixel strip using only 1 digital pin?

It's for a costume and I'd like to have 4 matrices:
-Front - 11x11
-Back - 11x11 (potentially just same or mirror of Front)
-Hat - 17x1
-Display - 5x3

I've used the Adafruit_NeoMatrix.h library to create a single matrix on previous projects. I could use the same method, define 4 matrices and assign each to it's own digital pin. Trouble is I don't have many pins to spare and would rather use just 1 pin.

Any thoughts?

cheers,
Neal

Disciple

Re: Arduino - Multiple Matrices on same NeoPixel strip?

Post by Disciple »

Hi Neal. I'm a customer who has used the NeoMatrix library a bit. It can indeed address a chain of NeoPixel matrices as one large matrix...within guidelines. It can handle multiple matrices of matched size and geometry when tiled in prescribed arrangements, and then the Adafruit GFX Graphics Library can be used to display text and other shapes on the whole assembly.
Doing the same with combinations of diverse matrices and strips requires a bit more programming work. I tackle this problem by using setRemapFunction(), where my code has to convert pixel(x, y) in my big virtual matrix into pixel(n), the serial number of the same pixel if they were all in one long strip. Once that's done, I can use Adafruit_GFX to handle the full display with one GPIO pin. My SK6812 Rings for the Holidays project is an example.

Those are my thoughts. Hope it helps. Would love to see pics as the project comes together. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

feet first

Re: Arduino - Multiple Matrices on same NeoPixel strip?

Post by feet first »

Thx Disciple,

I will investigate your method further. It looks promising, though it also appears that I might have to learn something new! Exciting and daunting at the same time...

Cheers, Neal

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”