Neokey 1x4 seesaw lib with different I2C pins ?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fff2049

Neokey 1x4 seesaw lib with different I2C pins ?

Post by fff2049 »

Hi Ada and all,

I have several Neokeys 1x4 and using them with a Teensy which has several i2C ports
As the default i2c pins are already used, how can I define other pins to be used by the seesaw library ?

Can Adafruit_NeoKey_1x4 neokey OR neokey.begin(0x30) accepts some pins pararameters ?
or should (and where?) I modify the lib ?

Thanks a lot,
Fab

dastels

Re: Neokey 1x4 seesaw lib with different I2C pins ?

Post by dastels »

Although the Adafruit_NeoKey_1x4 class extends Adafruit_seesaw, it does support the same constructor call. I.e. you can't pass in the TwoWire (i.e. I2C buss) to use and use the base class to use it. You would have to modify (ideally add) a constructor that does so. See https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Se ... seesaw.cpp (and .h) and https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Se ... ey_1x4.cpp (and .h).

Dave

fff2049

Post by fff2049 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply
... unfortunatelly i did (or at least tried) to do my homework before posting my initial question ... and already look at these files in the lib
And because I see not obvious pin definition to change, this is out of reach of my poor level

The good news is that, as I do not need that lib nor that port for anything else than several NeoKeys, It probably can be a messy/simple change
Any precise location(s) in these files where I should set SDApin=17 & SCLpin=16 ?

Thanks A LOT for your support
Fab

dastels

Post by dastels »

The library, itself, doesn't worry about pins. It uses a TwoWire object that is set up outside the library and passed to the seesaw constructor. If it isn't, then it defaults to the global Wire object. One approach is to expose the ability to pass a TwoWire object to the NeoKey constructor, or change the default behavior when a TwoWire object isn't provided. Another option is to set the _i2cbus instance variable in the Adafruit_NeoKey_1x4 constructor to a TwoWire instance created with the appropriate pins.

Dave

fff2049

Post by fff2049 »

Thanks Dave to point in the right direction

To all other noobs like me, it did work by "simply" (only once the help of Dave)
replacing "&Wire" by "&Wire1" in Adafruit_seesaw.cpp
Wire1 being defined in the Teensy as the 2nd I2C port ("Wire" being the default one)

Again, not a very clean solution but works

BR,
Fab

dastels

Post by dastels »

Very good! Glad it was that simple in the end.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

oh thats annoying - i thinkwe just forgot to add it. an issue is made here
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Seesaw/issues/61
we'll be doing some more work on this library in the next few weeks and can update it then

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”