"NUM_NEOPIXEL" is not declared in this scope

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brentwipf

"NUM_NEOPIXEL" is not declared in this scope

Post by brentwipf »

Not sure why I keep getting this error. I'm using the example code for Macro Pad RP2040 (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mac ... 40/arduino). Simple copy/paste; no edit. I cannot get past verification, so I know its something in the code, just not sure what.

I'm probably missing something simple, but I've tried everything I could think of. I have tried reverting the version of the NeoPixel library back to 1.8.1 as shown in the article. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the library, restarted the IDE and my computer. I've pasted the entire error message below and the example code is available at the link above.

Arduino: 1.8.16 (Windows 10), Board: "Raspberry Pi Pico, 2MB (no FS), 125 MHz, Small (-Os) (standard), Disabled, Disabled, None, Pico SDK"

MacroPad_RP2040_example:7:46: error: 'NUM_NEOPIXEL' was not declared in this scope

7 | Adafruit_NeoPixel pixels = Adafruit_NeoPixel(NUM_NEOPIXEL, PIN_NEOPIXEL, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

| ^~~~~~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:7:60: error: 'PIN_NEOPIXEL' was not declared in this scope

7 | Adafruit_NeoPixel pixels = Adafruit_NeoPixel(NUM_NEOPIXEL, PIN_NEOPIXEL, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

| ^~~~~~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:10:61: error: 'OLED_DC' was not declared in this scope

10 | Adafruit_SH1106G display = Adafruit_SH1106G(128, 64, &SPI1, OLED_DC, OLED_RST, OLED_CS);

| ^~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:10:70: error: 'OLED_RST' was not declared in this scope

10 | Adafruit_SH1106G display = Adafruit_SH1106G(128, 64, &SPI1, OLED_DC, OLED_RST, OLED_CS);

| ^~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:10:80: error: 'OLED_CS' was not declared in this scope

| ^~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:13:23: error: 'PIN_ROTA' was not declared in this scope

13 | RotaryEncoder encoder(PIN_ROTA, PIN_ROTB, RotaryEncoder::LatchMode::FOUR3);

| ^~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:13:33: error: 'PIN_ROTB' was not declared in this scope

13 | RotaryEncoder encoder(PIN_ROTA, PIN_ROTB, RotaryEncoder::LatchMode::FOUR3);

| ^~~~~~~~

C:\Users\brentw\Documents\Arduino\MacroPad_RP2040_example\MacroPad_RP2040_example.ino: In function 'void setup()':

MacroPad_RP2040_example:42:11: error: 'PIN_ROTA' was not declared in this scope

42 | pinMode(PIN_ROTA, INPUT_PULLUP);

| ^~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:43:11: error: 'PIN_ROTB' was not declared in this scope

43 | pinMode(PIN_ROTB, INPUT_PULLUP);

| ^~~~~~~~

MacroPad_RP2040_example:55:11: error: 'PIN_SPEAKER' was not declared in this scope

55 | pinMode(PIN_SPEAKER, OUTPUT);

| ^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\brentw\Documents\Arduino\MacroPad_RP2040_example\MacroPad_RP2040_example.ino: In function 'void loop()':

MacroPad_RP2040_example:111:20: error: 'PIN_SWITCH' was not declared in this scope

111 | if (!digitalRead(PIN_SWITCH)) {

| ^~~~~~~~~~

exit status 1

'NUM_NEOPIXEL' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

dastels

Re: "NUM_NEOPIXEL" is not declared in this scope

Post by dastels »

It's because you have the board set to "Raspberry Pi Pico". The Board Support Package for the Pico board does not declare the constant NUM_NEOPIXEL. Select "Adafruit MacroPad RP2040" as your board..

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”