Huzzah ESP32 w/ 1.2" LED Clock Backpack

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ayates

Huzzah ESP32 w/ 1.2" LED Clock Backpack

Post by ayates »

In full transparency, my first foray into Arduino & ESP32...

Using the Arduino IDE, I have the ESP32 up and running. I can talk I2C to a DS3231 just fine. I can also "see" the I2C of the LED backpack as well. Up until the point I connect the 5V line to the LED backpack...

My original issue was the LED not displaying anything with the test sketch. I believe I have narrowed down the issue to I2C communication, using one of the common I2C scanning sketches.

The DS3231 functions correctly over the I2C bus using its sample sketch. It also shows with the I2C scanner. I can connect the LED backpack to the I2C bus, either with or with out the DS3231 present, and it too shows with the I2C scanner. Except if I connect the 5V power line to the LED backpack.

I tried with 5V from and external power supply, and the 5V off the USB cable. Same issue.

I noted some threads regarding I2C pull ups being too weak with 3.3V systems. So I added in 5.6k pull ups for the two I2C lines to 3.3V. But that made no difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

My only other thought at this point is to purchase another LED setup in case the one I have is bad.

Thanks,

Allan.
Attachments
IMG_6133_tn.JPG
IMG_6133_tn.JPG (330.93 KiB) Viewed 107 times
IMG_6135_tn.JPG
IMG_6135_tn.JPG (368.5 KiB) Viewed 107 times
IMG_6134_tn.JPG
IMG_6134_tn.JPG (408.88 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”