wireless downloads

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
queenidog

wireless downloads

Post by queenidog »

Server to minor computer means download, but in Arduino world it's called an upload.
Regardless I want to be able to download wirelessly to an UNO, using RF modules. I tried the HC-05 Bluetooth devices but I think there is problem at the server/computer end because it is Windows11 and uses USB 3 ports. Everything I did to get the HC-05s working worked up to the point where I had to download/upload the remote Arduino with the BT device connected to it. So I ABANDONED that idea until I can figure out the server side issues. (Best idea would be to use win10 with USB2 for a start).

I have 2 Arduino UNOS, one with the Tx RF module, transmitting data to the OTHER UNO with the Rx RF module on it. I can read the data on the IDE monitor. Works very well.

How can I send compiled code to the receiving UNO to change or update it's current contents? I have 3 outdoor projects that I have to tweek using a laptop and USB cord. Hard to use in the rain!
Basically I want to use the receiving SPI port to trigger the bootloader that will load the new/updated program for me wirelessly. Compiling would be done from Arduino IDE of course.
(One of my external devices is a Teensy3.2, but I'll deal with that at another time).
I read the excellent articles on bootloaders on the Adafruit website: thank you for this. I used to use programmers and Microchip MCUs for my circuits, but I hated setting fuses and dicking with registers to get anything going. Arduino rules! Saves me lots of time and headaches

mikeysklar

Re: wireless downloads

Post by mikeysklar »

Getting compiled code onto the Arduino remotely is called OTA (Over The Air) updates. It is not something we support today on any of our controllers, but could come in a future release for some boards.

On all my projects where I needed to place an MCU running Arduino or CircuitPython remotely I add a Pi Zero to it. That way I can vnc or ssh into the Pi Zero and have an Arduino IDE always connected to the microcontroller. If you are comfortable with command-line you can use arduino-cli over ssh. Otherwise it is VNC to connect to the Pi Zero running the Arduino IDE. Either way it gives you full remote access to controller.

queenidog

Re: wireless downloads

Post by queenidog »

Thanks, I'll look into that. Meanwhile I have a Arduino-ESP8266 board that sort of does what I want...I can insert a program into the board via wifi. The only problem is that it only happens once, then needs a reset (which is supposed to happen automatically with this WEMOS D1 board).

I'm considering all options and will choose the quickest, least troublesome, most reliable way.

I'm comfortable with CLI...I used to program in Motorola assembler for 20 years.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”