Arduinos Dont Like Me
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduinos Dont Like Me

by physics_dude on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 pm

I just built this nice Arduino project, a web server I went a little overboard on, with a perfect case and everything. Anyway, I held off the project until I received the new Arduino UNO SMD to put in as a semi permanent placement. So when I got it I first uploaded my sketch then carefully set it in its place in the case and connected the appropriate pins as if peoples lives were at stake. I then sealed the project up and for the first time with the new Arduino, powered it up. I expected an external LED to blink and the LCD to display its message, but it didn't. So I opened it up, laid everything out, checked wires, and turned it back on, then I noticed that the pin 13 LED was blinking oddly, every second it would blink 3 times rapidly and then off for half a second and repeat. After some troubleshooting and re uploading code I found that you can upload a sketch just fine and it will run that sketch after its done uploading. However, when the Arduino is disconnected from its power and then re connected via usb or 9v the pin 13 led blinking pattern starts regardless of the sketch on the board.

The project worked just fine when it had my original Arduino UNO in it but the new UNO SMD has failed me. :(
Unless the Arduino came defective to me, the only other thing I can imagine happened is that 2 digital wires for an LCD crossed temporally as I had the power on. I doubt that would have this effect though.

Anyone have any ideas?
I don't want to ask for another replacement since I already did so not to long ago for a different problem.
Last edited by physics_dude on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

physics_dude

Re: Arduinos Dont Like Me :(

by stephanie on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't have any solutions to offer, but the problem you describe reminded me of something I read earlier today over at the Sparkfun forum:
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25611
stephanie

by adafruit on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 pm

physic.dude wrote:I just built this nice Arduino project, a web server I went a little overboard on, with a perfect case and everything. Anyway, I held off the project until I received the new Arduino UNO SMD to put in as a semi permanent placement....

I don't want to ask for another replacement since I already did so not to long ago for a different problem.

don't worry about that, if there are every any defective units, we will replace them - free of charge.

we support our customers around the clock and we've spent most of our friday night investigating some of the issues on the arduino forums and for now we have removed all arduino products from our store while we figure out any potential issues if there are any.

we will update this post, as well as posting on our site the moment we find anything, or nothing, either way we'll help solve this. we may spend the weekend working on this - so hang tight.

thanks for alerting us to this,
adafruit

adafruit

by physics_dude on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Stephanie wrote:I don't have any solutions to offer, but the problem you describe reminded me of something I read earlier today over at the Sparkfun forum:
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25611

I just read that thread and they have the same issue, it seems to be an UNO SMD problem.

physics_dude

by adafruit on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:05 pm

physic.dude wrote:I just read that thread and they have the same issue, it seems to be an UNO SMD problem.

hello,

we have been able to reproduce the issue and we have sent a detailed log to the arduino team, they also have confirmed this issue and we will be re-flashing the arduino SMD units we have.

physics.dude, please email support@adafruit.com and we will arrange for an exchange.

thanks,
adafruit

adafruit

by westfw on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 pm

So what was wrong? I didn't think that there were any recent bootloader changes...

westfw

by adafruit on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 pm

westfw wrote:So what was wrong? I didn't think that there were any recent bootloader changes...

we'll do a post once we get the final word from the arduino team.

cheers,
adafruit

adafruit

by adafruit on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:36 pm

ok, we are now shipping version 3 bootloader, it corrects the "flash amnesia" issue reported here and elsewhere. we've posted on our site as well.

any customer who received an arduino smd with this issue was contact and replacement is on the way (less than 10 people).

thanks for bringing this to our attention, the arduino team thanks you and we're pleased we could move quickly over a holiday weekend to confirm / correct this before (m)any units shipped.

cheers,
adafruit

adafruit

by westfw on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:17 pm

So this is the "R1 not-cleared on reset" problem I analyzed (http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=446 http://code.google.com/p/optiboot/issues/detail?id=26 ) ? I didn't think that would happen on power-up :-(

westfw

by adafruit on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm

westfw wrote:So this is the "R1 not-cleared on reset" problem I analyzed (http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=446 http://code.google.com/p/optiboot/issues/detail?id=26 ) ? I didn't think that would happen on power-up :-(

not sure - what did the arduino team say in response to your question in the google code site?

so far we've confirmed the issue reported here, informed the arduino team & customers, updated the SMDs we have with version 3 and that's pretty much it. only about 10 customers of ours have them so it wasn't really an issue and all of them have been contacted by us within 24 hours after we confirmed it was an issue.

cheers,
adafruit

adafruit

by westfw on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10 pm

My post to google code came after my post here; no response yet.
optiboot support seems a bit confused; In theory the Arduino team doesn't want to branch off of the main source, but the rate of bugfixes in the optiboot project is a bit slow for the number of customers now dependent on it :-(
The optiboot originally shipped with Uno was also known as "version 3."
Compared to the opticode source base, "version 3" lacks support for several cpus (atmega8, for instance) and has the "30k" problem (http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=380 ) But the arduino copy of optiboot HAS been patched to handle this R1 problem, and that change hasn't gotten into the optiboot base yet.

Sigh. Growing pains.

westfw

by adafruit on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm

westfw wrote:My post to google code came after my post here; no response yet.
optiboot support seems a bit confused; In theory the Arduino team doesn't want to branch off of the main source, but the rate of bugfixes in the optiboot project is a bit slow for the number of customers now dependent on it :-(
The optiboot originally shipped with Uno was also known as "version 3."
Compared to the opticode source base, "version 3" lacks support for several cpus (atmega8, for instance) and has the "30k" problem (http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=380 ) But the arduino copy of optiboot HAS been patched to handle this R1 problem, and that change hasn't gotten into the optiboot base yet.

ok, well - feel free to keep us all posted!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.