IR temperature sensor for annealing

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jake8587

IR temperature sensor for annealing

Post by Jake8587 »

Ok, I need help I have been searching for something to measure while annealing brass. All of the IR sensors I have seen can only reach Temps around 300c, I need something that will measure to above 450c.

Thanks for any help.
Jake

ashleyjames

Re: IR temperature sensor for annealing

Post by ashleyjames »

Jake8587

Post by Jake8587 »

Thanks, Ashley

That would work, but a little out of my price range. Im new to coding and not really sure how to hook that up with a UNO. Thanks again.

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

A thermocouple+amplifier can be used to measure temperatures in the required range. Cheap and easy to connect to an Arduino.

https://learn.adafruit.com/thermocouple/

Jake8587

Post by Jake8587 »

I would be worried about the metal in the thermocouple heating up in the induction field. They have to touch the object to measure tempature right?

petespaco

Post by petespaco »

Many folks out there have built devices for annealing the necks of brass cartridge cases. It appears to me the most of them use a 750 degree F Tempilstik crayon to set up their induction heaters for each cartridge. You rub the crayon onto the part. They set a timer once they see how long it takes to melt the Tempil crayon and simply go from there.
I have done a bunch of experiments with those induction heaters to help those guys get their systems going reliably.
But, for your application, here's an idea that comes to mind if exact temperature isn't all that important:
My observations show me that the brass just starts to glow (in a dark room) at about 500°C. So--- how about using a light sensor to sense when any visible light appears on the surface of the part you want to anneal? Could be resistive or photovoltaic.
You might use a non conductive tube of some sort that is several inches long to protect the sensor from extraneous light.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@petespaco :
I had the same thought but had no experience to make the post. Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”