Confused on how to build things ?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kaneki83

Confused on how to build things ?

Post by kaneki83 »

maybe dumb question. but I bought a Arduino kit a long time ago and I use that for learning and following along on project I want to make. but this time I want to build something and keep it running forever. just a simple motor and an LED but I think that the Arduino I have would be overkill and a waste of a great Arduino just for a motor. so what do I do. ive also taken classes where I actually build the circuit. like using batteries on a breadboard and 555 timers to turn things on and off so will I need to make my own breadboard and put it inside my build (seems pretty large) and how would I program that.

or. do I need to get a raspberry pi. ive seen a lot of people use that. and I think thats what I need to do. maybe Arduino is for general learning but if I actually want to make something I need to get and program a PI. and how would I choose which PI to get. to run. a motor and Led. ?

long sorry but im new

dastels

Re: Confused on how to build things ?

Post by dastels »

If you build a circuit without a cpu/MCU (e.g. using 555s... which are awesome btw) there is no programming. There is just the circuit.

A Pi is vast overkill for a project like this. An Arduino (I assume it's an UNO or similar since you said "a long time ago") is perfect for a simple project like this. You can get something comparable in a smaller format, e.g. an ItsyBitsy 32u4 https://www.adafruit.com/product/3677.

If you want this to be a long lasting project, don't use a breadboard. They're great for experimenting/prototyping but not for long term use. You can move your breadboarded design to something like a PermaProto https://www.adafruit.com/?q=perma&sort=BestMatch.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”