QT PY ESP32-S2 & TSL2591--no power?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jcrd

QT PY ESP32-S2 & TSL2591--no power?

Post by jcrd »

Hi all,

I just purchased a QT Py ESP32-S2, TSL2591 light sensor, and STEMMA QT cable:
Setup
Setup
IMG_20220628_165958136_HDR.jpg (419.44 KiB) Viewed 290 times
It seems the TSL2591 never powers on, the LED never lights up. The example TSL2591 code fails with the tsl.begin() command and the i2c scanner described here https://learn.adafruit.com/scanning-i2c ... es/arduino never recognizes it either.

I've tried using different USB cables and plugging it into my computer and into a powered USB outlet.

Am I missing something obvious? Is insufficient power being supplied? Could one of the components be defective?

Thanks for any pointers!

dastels

Re: QT PY ESP32-S2 & TSL2591--no power?

Post by dastels »

The LED not lighting means the board isn't getting power from it's regulator; the LED is connected between the regulator output and ground.

But the QtPy seems to have power since you can run code on it, so your USB connection is fine.

The STEMMA-AT connector uses SCL1 and SDA1 rather than SCL and SDA that is on the edge pins. Once you have the sensor board powered you'll need to switch to those.

Is each end of the STEMMA cable is plugged in correctly? Have you tried the other STEMMA connector on the sensor? Have you tried a different STEMMA cable? Have you checked the voltages at the VIN and 3Vo pins on the sensor board? They should both measure ~3.3v when connected using the STEMMA cable.

Dave

jcrd

Post by jcrd »

Hello,

Thanks for taking a look at this and apologies for the late reply.

Still no light but I managed to get the sensor working with a STEMMA->male header cable plugged into the esp32-s2 pins.

I'm new to the Arduino world and don't understand why the STEMMA port on the QtPy failed to work.
Any light shed on that topic would be appreciated but otherwise this has been solved. Thanks!

dastels

Post by dastels »

I did in my previous reply:
The STEMMA-QT connector uses SCL1 and SDA1 rather than SCL and SDA that is on the edge pins. Once you have the sensor board powered you'll need to switch to those.
Specifically (from https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... s2/pinouts):
The STEMMA QT connector IO pins in Arduino are 40 (SCL1) and 41 (SDA1) and are available on Wire1
It's still odd that the green power LED doesn't illuminate.

Dave

jcrd

Post by jcrd »

Okay, I get it. The STEMMA port doesn't use the default SDA and SCL pins. They must be set manually along with the I2C bus.

For posterity, the Wire initialization code should look like:

Code: Select all

#define SDA 41
#define SCL 40
#define WIRE Wire1

Wire.begin(SDA, SCL);
Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”