RA8875 with 7'' touchscreen, touches not working.

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MakerMelissa

Re: RA8875 with 7'' touchscreen, touches not working.

Post by MakerMelissa »

Hello,

I'm really sorry about delay in getting back to you. I don't see where you had mentioned that this project was due by a certain date. Gathering all the parts to test this out took some time and multiple trips to find it all and I have severe mobility issues at the moment. I would have just ordered a set of parts if I had known about your deadline.

Anyways, I just tested this out and the calibration script on my unit looks like a solid white background with a single circle in the middle, so the Arduino code is fine. If you try out the build test code (the first one you tried), does that still look normal? If it doesn't anymore then you may want to double check the wiring and the pin settings.

Melissa

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

Thank you for swooping in to the rescue.
I'm sorry to hear about your mobility issues, I did not mention a due date because all I knew, is that it was sometime in august.

I even modified the code so that it would ignore the spam of 0,0 to 3,3 false touches but that only fixed the spam touch issue and not the fact that I'm only getting how much pressure i've applied and not where it was applied. (I took these pictures with the default buildtest.ino)
Attachments
after touch
after touch
p10.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 179 times
before touch
before touch
p9.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 179 times

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

So for the build test, the results look the same as mine, but the calibration one is definitely behaving weird on yours. I'm kind of puzzled where the issue might be (touch panel or RA8875). You might try reseating the ribbon cable to see if that helps at all.

I am currently testing with a Feather M4 as that's what I had on hand, but will try a Metro board later today, which is a little slower. That should be closer to the one you are using and I can see if the results are any different.

It looks like the forums will be down all day tomorrow, so hopefully we can get this figured out before that.

Melissa

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

The ribbon is reseated.
No changes though!

I plugged the RA8875 on a mega 2560 R3 board for other reasons and it changed nothing either =(
I can rewire it again but I don't think that would help. I also re-soldered it a third time last week but still the same thing.

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

Hi,

That's too bad it wasn't something simple. I just tested with a Metro and had the same results as with the feather. I do recall when I was working with the TSC2007 a couple months back, I had some weird touch issues myself, though in my case it was always registering a touch. The issue ended up being the touch panel itself. I'm wondering if the issue is your display rather than the RA8875 itself.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree that the issue is hardware, but I just wanted to do some basic checks and sanity tests with the driver itself. I suspect it's more likely the display/touch panel combo are the issue since you're getting basic communication with the RA8875 and the microcontroller. However, I'm not 100% certain.

I'll let Carter know that we tested it with as much as I could think of.

Thanks,
Melissa

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

OK, this is a really weird issue. Thanks for all the testing. I think best next step is to just send a new panel and let's see what happens.

Just to make sure - this is the panel you are using?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2354

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

Yes! That's the panel I bought.
I was going to buy stuff to make a soldering kit.
Is it preferable to pack it with that order?

adafruit_support_carter

Not for a replacement. Those are handled separately.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your original order number and they can send you a replacement TFT display (PID 2354).

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

Thank you so much for you help.

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

Just received it now. I hooked it up and it's the same thing. That likely means it's the RA8875.
I'm waiting on my next package, because I bought another RA8875 and will test it with it when it arrives.

JMC17

Post by JMC17 »

Yep. It's confirmed. It was the RA8875 chip. I just tried the second one I bought and that one works.
If you still want to send me a replacement for that RA8875 chip, that'd be nice. Otherwise I now have at least a working panel!
Attachments
p12.jpg
p12.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 138 times

adafruit_support_carter

Send another email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number. This time they can send you a replacement RA8875 breakout.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”