Did I zap my Arduino UNO SMD? No more upload, sync error
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Did I zap my Arduino UNO SMD? No more upload, sync error

by SanderP on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi,

I have the dreaded avrdude sync error with my brand new Arduino UNO SMD. It ran fine for a few days and today I was fiddling with the motor shield I also bought from adafruit at the same time. It is possible I touched one of the arduino traces with a stepper wire as I was trying to make things work (stepper just trembles, doesn't turn). My laptop shut down hard and I had to remove the battery to make it work again. Clearly a scary scenario and I thought for a moment I blew the entire laptop. A disadvantage of the integrated USB port I'd say. I would probably have been safe if I'd used a classic Arduino and an external RS232-USB dongle. Anyway.

When I attempt to upload blink (or any other sketch) I get the dreaded:

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

What worries me is that the rx and tx LEDs aren't flashing when this happens. The sketch currently on the Arduino is still running, the stepper is being energized. It isn't printing on the serial port anymore though. So this makes me think my serial connection got zapped. Hopefully not permanently as the magic smoke is still in there. I have an STK500 and a serial JTAG box somewhere in the basement, can I use those to reflash either of the megas on this board?

I have moved the USB cable to different ports and in each case it loads fine as an Arduino UNO. I've moved the COM port from 12 to 2 and tried different Arduino models in the IDE. No effect. This is a Win XP Media Center PC.

Thanks for any hints you have for me. If I broke it I'll buy a new unit and be more careful (it's not like I was being rough but 12V steppers and Arduinos don't mix and match perhaps) but hopefully there are other things I can try.

Sander
SanderP

Re: Did I zap my Arduino UNO SMD? No more upload, sync error

by SanderP on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 am

My STK500 can't talk to the Atmega8 using the ISP port. The atmega8 can't be put into FLIP programming mode by resetting it. When I try, the device stays in Arduino UNO mode and FLIP doesn't see the device.

I've ordered a new UNO. If that breaks so easily too then I'll skip Arduinos for now and pick a different platform. I would prefer to fix the one I have but hours of time vs. $35 is an easy choice.

Sander
SanderP

by LemonSlice762 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Did you just reset the 8u2 when trying FLIP or did you put it into DFU mode by bringing the HWB pin low? Here's how:
LemonSlice762

by SanderP on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi,

I have an UNO SMD so all I need to do (according to the instructions) is to connect the two left most pins on the ISP connection. That didn't do anything.
SanderP

by LemonSlice762 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Where are you getting those instructions? In order to use FLIP, you must put the Arduino into DFU mode and to do that you must bring the HWB pin of the '8u2 low. You can do that with the points shown in the picture. It is still the same as the PTH Uno, the left side of the capacitor that is directly above the RESET_EN bridge. The steps exactly are as follows.

1. Hold the reset pin of the '8u2 to ground to hold it in reset.
2. While doing that, touch the other wire that is connected to ground to the HWB pin (shown in diagram).
3. After touching HWB to ground and releasing, release reset. The device should show up in Device Manager as Arduino Uno DFU or something like that. The driver will not be installed, install it from this location on your hard drive if FLIP is installed. C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.2\usb. It will remain in DFU until power is removed or it is reset from FLIP. It should then come up as AT90USB82 in device manager. Select that in FLIP, you won't find ATMega8u2.

That is how you connect for FLIP.
LemonSlice762

by SanderP on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I don't remember, sorry. It was official Arduino documentation. It shows how with the through hole version you had to add a jumper wire and that the SMD didn't need that. Maybe I read it wrong. Thanks for these extra instructions. Too bad I didn't get those before ordering a new Arduino. Should this one die too I'll give your instructions a try.
SanderP

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.