New UNO board with ARDX 1.3

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kashken

New UNO board with ARDX 1.3

Post by kashken »

The new UNO board is slightly different than the previous edition. Do you
have updated specs on the changes?

Also, I could not mount the UNO to the holder board using the diagonal
aligned bolt holes since the hole is too close to the set of 6 pins by the
analog reference pin (the bolt will slant at an angle due to the closeness).
Further, if the nut is placed on this bolt under the board, it comes in
contact with the solder for one of the 6 pins. I used the two bolt holes on
the reset button end of the board and that seems to work okay.

Lastly, a group of 4 stick on cushion pads comes in the UNO box. There are
no instructions for where they can be placed on the bottom of the UNO board.
With the UNO on the holder board, they may not be necessary but knowing
where to stick them would still be useful if the UNO board is used off the
holder board.

oldELECTROguy

Re: New UNO board with ARDX 1.3

Post by oldELECTROguy »

use a insulated washer, to keep from touching pads or traces....as for the bumpers place so the board stays flat with no wobbling

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The rubber bumpers can go anywhere. I usaually just look for flat spots near the corners.

For mounting, I prefer nylon machine screws. But any insulating washer should work.

jchristensen

Post by jchristensen »

Kashken refers to the fact that the mounting holes on the new SMD Edition have moved slightly as compared to the original Uno with the 28-pin DIP MCU. So mounting layouts that were set up for the original may not work so well. Secondly, on the SMD edition, there is insufficient clearance around the mounting holes. A better design would allow enough room to use standard #4 steel screws/nuts/standoffs without worry of contacting components or conductors. Especially given the real estate saved with the SMD device, I'd have thought this possible.

So yes the SMD Edition is a bit BANNED from a mechanical perspective.

kashken

Post by kashken »

The Arduino UNO board I received as part of the ARDX 1.3 kit is not the SMD board. The kit was backordered due to shortage of the original UNO boards which had the removable chip. The backorder was cleared and my unit has the removable chip. However, by reviewing the photographs of the earlier board and comparing it with the one I received, some of the components are different and rearranged on the board. The bolts/nuts provided with the kit are 3 mm (10 mm long) black with wide heads on the bolts. The photo in the ARDX guide shows bolts with narrow heads, which would have worked better. The bolts I received have wide flat heads, thus the issue with the interference causing the angle of the bolt to be bad for the install.

kashken

Post by kashken »

The content of my original post, in its entirety, was originally sent to the AdaFruit team that shipped the ARDX 1.3 kit (after relief from backorder). I expected then to respond, but instead got this notification:
---------------------------------
hi ken!

thanks for emailing adafruit's customer order support!

please post up in the adafruit customer support forums so we can
better assist you as well as help others in the process!

http://www.adafruit.com/forums/

if you have any additional questions please let us know!

cheers,
adafruit
------------------------------
I had fully expected to receive the customer order support feedback in this forum. That perhaps was a mistake.

I am still looking for some feedback on the updated Arduine UNO board. If none available, then just say so.

I agree with one response here (thank you for the information) in that nylon bolts & nuts would be better suited. Any pointers as to where these might be acquired (cost also). Had the supplied bolts been narrow head, it might have worked okay.

Lastly, I did find an image showing placement of the adhesive mount pads I have attached that for those who might be interested. However, it appears to be for a different Arduino board and one pad actually covers a mounting hole.
Attachments
UNO_Pad_Placement.jpg
UNO_Pad_Placement.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 3238 times

adafruit_support_bill

Hi Ken,

By discussing these issues in the forum, we can share the knowledge and perhaps learn from others who may have encountered the same issue. In this case, it is the first I have heard of the problem, and other than JChristensen's post on the SMD, I didn't find anything on the topic over at the Arduino.cc site yet.

The ARDX kits are produced by Oomlaut, who in turn get their Arduino boards from the Arduino group. These people would be better prepared to explain the reasons behind any changes to the products.

As for alternative mounting options, I typically use 1 4-40 x 1/2" binder-head nylon screw. Philmore part # 10-745. I get mine locally, but a quick part# search yieds this source. Many other electronics dealers stock Philmore parts, so you may find one close to you. If I remember correctly, the cost was something like $1.50 for a package of 15. Mating nuts would be about the same or slightly less.

kashken

Post by kashken »

Thanks for the reference on the nylon bolts. I did find the part, 10-514, for the hex nuts as well (same web page).

The bolts with the kit are tagged as 3mm x 10 mm. Would your reference mean 4 mm x 40 mm?

I have gone to the Oomlaut page and will generate a request to them for any possible updates on the UNO board.

I have attached a photo of my board and the troublesome point is the mount hole close the to AREF pin and the 6 pin group next to the mount hole. The wide head screws don't work in that mount hole (the ARDX diagrams with the kit show narrow head screws).

Thanks for the screw reference.
Attachments
IMG_0661_1.JPG
IMG_0661_1.JPG (205.16 KiB) Viewed 3227 times

adafruit_support_bill

Would your reference mean 4 mm x 40 mm?
4-40 is a one of the standard screw sizes for the non-metric part of the world.
It means a #4 screw with 40 threads per inch.

The binder-heads are probably too wide to clear that 6-pin ICSP header in your photo. But, being nylon, you could just clip one side of the head with your wire-cutters. Looking at an older Uno, the header holes are in the same place, but the header is not installed.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we (should) ship 4-40 nylon screws with the ardx - did you get metal ones? the nylon screws are nonconductive so you dont have to worry about them shorting
use whatever mounting holes fit best - the arduino UNO has changed a little to make it not as easy to mount but nylon screws only come in one size so theres little we can do :(
bumpers go on the plastic plate

kashken

Post by kashken »

The 4 black bumpers were in the box with the UNO board.

However using them on the plastic plate should work.

By the way, the plastic plate that came with my ARDX 1.3 kit did NOT have the mounting hole punchouts removed. I took them out with a small flat headed punch and a light blow with a rubber mallet.

Thank you for your responses.

sphillips

Post by sphillips »

I received my ADRX Pack item #170 (http://www.adafruit.com/products/170) a couple of months ago (Feb 2013) and have two problems with attaching my Uno R3 and the breadboard to the mounting plate:

1. Despite earlier information in this thread (see above), the kit still seems to be shipping with 2 (two) 5 mm x 13mm metal machine screws plus 4 washers. The picture on the Adafruit webiste shows this, in fact. (https://www.adafruit.com/products/170). These metal screws are still the wrong size for mounting an Uno R3 if one tries to follow the directions on page 2 of the ARDX manual. However, I attached the Uno R3 to the plate by using the hole near the DC power supply connector and the ON LED (the same end and side of the board as Digital RX 0). That seems to be OK, but just wanted to point out that the screws are still metal and not plastic, and the required placement does not match the info in the ARDX manual.

2. The plastic mounting plate seems to be printed completely backward from the photo on the website product page and the page for ordering the mounting plate separately (http://www.adafruit.com/products/275)--which I also purchased at the same time as the ARDX kit. Both of my mounting plates have the breadboard on the right and the Arduino on the left, but all of the ARDX instructions and diagrams as well as the images on the Adafruit website show it the other way around. I know that it doesn't really matter as long as all the connections are made correctly, but since I am planning to use the ARDX breadboard layout sheets and the ARDX manual with middle school students who are complete novices, it is very important for the actual materials to look just like what they are seeing in diagrams and photos. Did I get not one, but two defectively-printed mounting plates?

By the way, item 275 (the mounting plate kit) comes with the same problematic, overly large metal screws, 4 washers and 2 bumpers.

I am really excited to have discovered Adafruit and as a middle school technology teacher this is just what I needed, but at the moment I am feeling a bit frustrated and hoping that I am just missing something, in which case I'll just feel a bit foolish but at least I will be back on track!

kashken

Post by kashken »

That is pretty bad. Two years later and the same problem exists with shipping the wrong type of screws (metal) with fittings that conflict with UNO board layout. How long does it take to correct this?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hi there, we've moved to nylon screws and hexnuts well over a year ago and all the kits we have in stock at this moment use black nylon screws & nuts - can you post a photo of the Adafruit product you've received with metal screws? Did you order it from Adafruit? It could have been a kitting error - Thanks!

The plate can be used in two 'directions' - simply remove the paper packing and arrange the components to match the photos to use the way you wish.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

kashken wrote:That is pretty bad. Two years later and the same problem exists with shipping the wrong type of screws (metal) with fittings that conflict with UNO board layout. How long does it take to correct this?
Kashken, thank you for your concern. we corrected this issue a while ago and are trying to help this customer with their order. If you have a question about an product you have received, please make a new thread. Otherwise, please let us help this customer with their question!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”