Where does Arduino put hex file?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Where does Arduino put hex file?

by kscharf on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm developing an application using the Arduino IDE and an Uno. Eventually, I will lay out a custom board with the mega328 processor on it and will need to program the chip with the compiled sketch. Do I need the bootloader on the chip or can I just program the application directly with an ISP programmer? (IE: does the bootloader perform any initialization required by the sketch?). Also where does the IDE put the compiled sketch binary (hex) file? I used windows search but couldn't find the hex file. Under Linux where would the IDE put the application hex file?

kscharf

Re: Where does Arduino put hex file?

by baldengineer on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Temporary directories are using during the compile process and the hex file is deleted after upload.

Press Shift while clicking upload or verify. You'll get a verbose output showing the working directory and the intermediate files will not be deleted (until you exit the IDE I think).

baldengineer

by kscharf on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 pm

JamesC4S wrote:Temporary directories are using during the compile process and the hex file is deleted after upload.
Press Shift while clicking upload or verify. You'll get a verbose output showing the working directory and the intermediate files will not be deleted (until you exit the IDE I think).

Thanks. If you press shift while uploading the input to avrdude is displayed and you can scroll though the output to find the command line given to avrdude, which contains the location of the hex file. The hex file IS deleted when you exit the IDE. Whats interesting is that the c:/usr/name/appdata directory is HIDDEN in the my computer view, I'm not sure how in windows you set the file view to show hidden files, (though the directory DOES appear in a dir command issued in the cmd command line shell). I guess I can save the hex file before exiting the IDE to another directory (maybe the same as that containing the sketch source).

kscharf

by floresta on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:18 am

I guess I can save the hex file before exiting the IDE to another directory (maybe the same as that containing the sketch source).

And then you will almost be back to the way the IDE functioned before they 'improved' it.

Don

floresta

by len17 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:10 pm

kscharf wrote:Whats interesting is that the c:/usr/name/appdata directory is HIDDEN in the my computer view, I'm not sure how in windows you set the file view to show hidden files

In a folder window, go to Tools > Folder Options > View. There's an option to show hidden files.

len17

by kscharf on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Len17 wrote:
kscharf wrote:Whats interesting is that the c:/usr/name/appdata directory is HIDDEN in the my computer view, I'm not sure how in windows you set the file view to show hidden files

In a folder window, go to Tools > Folder Options > View. There's an option to show hidden files.

Thanks. That's true for XP. In windows 7 I had to click on organize/folder and search options/view to find the show hidden files option.

kscharf

by len17 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 pm

That's strange, because I checked those instructions on Windows 7 before I posted them!

len17

by theenggprojects on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 am

Its quite easy to download the hex file from arduino, check this tutorial out they have given a detailed tutorial on how to get the hex file from arduino with screenshots, here's the link: How to get Hex File from Arduino

theenggprojects

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.