Atmoduino - Ambilight for the masses

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rickdb

Re: Atmoduino - Ambilight for the masses

Post by rickdb »

If you use it with the Mediaportal plugin then it will use DirectX readouts instead of GDI, saves resources and works alot faster :)
Also if Tmaniac approves I'm gonna update the Atmoduino project with the modified version of FastSPI as this will make it work with WS2801 again.

tmaniac

Post by tmaniac »

i think scorpies explanation of how to correct the channels/zones should be included in the wiki, that was a BIG help for me :)

1 thing that is not entirely clear to me: where is the AtmoWin configuration stored?

rickdb

Post by rickdb »

The config is stored in the registry under AtmowinX:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AtmoWinX (for 64bit windows)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AtmoWinX (for 32bit windows)

It's on my to-do list to migrate this to an XML config structure instead, updated wiki to mention Scorpie's channel post.
@Scorpie: if you find some more German text please let me know.

The source of Atmowin itself is a bit messy to start with (lots of different worked on it) so not everything is logical like the whole channel mapping, to do a complete cleanup and make everything properly would basically require a rewrite and lots and lots of time.
But if any C++ programmer is up for it please let me know :)

tmaniac

Post by tmaniac »

thanks for the reg-keys;

now i can backup my settings :)

Here's a video of my setup... :D

scorpie

Post by scorpie »

@tmaniac

really nice.

Still have problems with my new pc - my second hard disk is not present after waking up from power saving mode. I have to fix this before I can do everything else.

@RickDB

Idk why it was German, could be a mix of something. I used the sedu board and a German version of atmolight before yours, maybe there was something left somewhere. Just a question could you change the numbering (hm, is this the right word) under change channel assignments like shown in my second pic. I think this makes it easier for others. If you switch to minidmx, the strings are german like Summenkanal 0, linker Kanal 1, rechter Kanal 2 etc. (this is also not perfekt and a mix of something).

only 1111 22222 33333 and so one is a bit confusing. Hope you don't mind my asking.

:) writing in German would be so much easier, cuz I know my grammar is a mess.

scorpie

Post by scorpie »

@tmaniac and RickDB

could you post your settings from atmowin.

some screenshots would be nice

thx
scorpie

scorpie

Post by scorpie »

no one

redocili

Post by redocili »

Hello

@RickDB

is it possible to explain the protocol used in atmoduino? I have used yuor atmoduino sketch and your modded atmowin software with success with my pc win7 x64.
i used a strip with 64 leds and ws2801ic + arduino uno rev3

i would try to move ambilight project to my sat set top box ( mipsel machin with BANNED gui on openembedded linux os), but there are only 2 plugin to drive ambilight clones:

1) compiled boblight, which doesn't work in any mode (momo, atmo, etc..etc..)

2) atmolight plugin, but it works with original atmolight protocol (15channels)...

the developer of #2 plugin could make patches to support other protocol but he needs more infos... (he add recently support for sedulight board wich works with 256 channels on minidmx protocol on ws2801 ic driven leds) so it wouldn't be hard to add support to atmoduino.

Thanks a lot.

F0x123

Post by F0x123 »

Hi,

I have this setup:

Arduino Uno
50x ws8201 LEDs
Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
Windows 7 x86
XBMC Eden

And also the described stuttering in HD content, low UI performance etc.

I tried to understand all posts in this thread but I doubt I managed it :)

Are now all fixes and necessary config files available in the wiki, so that I can manage to build up a working ambilight setup with the components mentioned above? And is there an easy to follow how to?

Thank you in advance.

F0x123

Post by F0x123 »

well, so I think now the pde file is working.
I have 50 leds, firts one left bottom corner. so I have to change the channels right? do I need 50 zones (top zones 24, left and right 13)? and if so, is zone 37 channel 0?

what are right settings for using this setup with xbmc 11 and win7?

please help me.

F0x123

Post by F0x123 »

nobody there to help me? I fixed the zones and switched the wrong colors in the ino file. now all channels and colors are correct, but I need to turn on use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen in xbmc. therefore atmowin works but I got tearing.

Is there any fix for this?
what is meant with GDI live mode?
Is there any plugin I can use for my setup and xbmc?

I am thankfull for every hint.

ventrax

Post by ventrax »

Thanks for this.

I've been using the original AtmoWin for several years now together with Carsten Pressers original AtmoLight. I've been using this with XMBC and Eventghost with great success.

I've been looking at adalight to expand my channels to more than 4 for a long time now, but have been wanting to use the atmowin software instead of adallight. In my experience the Atmowin software is the software that uses least CPU for processing. (Just remember to not use "Enable Desktop Composition" under "System Properties" -> "Performance Options")

This project is exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll give this a go and let you know how it goes.

scorpie

Post by scorpie »

@F0x123

it is not working with xbmc, for xbmc you need boblight and linux. If you don't want to use linux, give mediaportal a try. There is a plugin for it to reduce cpu usage.

To get rid of the stuttering u should use true fullscreen instead of fullscreen window, but then the screen capture function of atmowin is not working anymore and you should disable sync playback to video, too.

About the settings - have you read one of my previous posts.

If you still need help, just let me know.

scorpie

F0x123

Post by F0x123 »

ventrax wrote:Thanks for this.

I've been using the original AtmoWin for several years now together with Carsten Pressers original AtmoLight. I've been using this with XMBC and Eventghost with great success.
So you use the AtmoWin Software with XBMC without any problems? Is Carsten Pressers Atmolight a plugin for XBMC?
I've been looking at adalight to expand my channels to more than 4 for a long time now, but have been wanting to use the atmowin software instead of adallight. In my experience the Atmowin software is the software that uses least CPU for processing. (Just remember to not use "Enable Desktop Composition" under "System Properties" -> "Performance Options")

This project is exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll give this a go and let you know how it goes.
Where do I find this option? In AtmoWin? XBMC? Atmolight? Or my graphic card OS Settings?

F0x123

Post by F0x123 »

scorpie wrote:@F0x123

it is not working with xbmc, for xbmc you need boblight and linux. If you don't want to use linux, give mediaportal a try. There is a plugin for it to reduce cpu usage.
what is not working? atmoduino? Like I said, I fixed the colours in the ino file and setup the correct positions of each light. That is working nicely. Just tearing is annoying me.
To get rid of the stuttering u should use true fullscreen instead of fullscreen window, but then the screen capture function of atmowin is not working anymore and you should disable sync playback to video, too.
Yes I know that with true fullscreen no tearing will happen, but than all LED are off because no screen capturing is possible. I think I need a plugin like boblight or atmowinx has to use a different capturing mode. That is why I asked what is meant with "GDI live mode"? Is this just the "live" setting instead of a fixed colour in atmowinx software?

Does the directshow filter of atmowinx help in any way? there is a readme how to install and register this filter e.g. for VLC.
About the settings - have you read one of my previous posts.

If you still need help, just let me know.

scorpie
There is a boblight for xbmc and windows but it also causes micro stuttering in HD movies while DXVA is active and I need DXVA to be able to play HD content. :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”