Getting started

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Getting started

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

First of all, have you downloaded the Arduino software? The driver you need is in there.

Find the arduino in the device manager. If it's not in Ports(COM & LPT), look in Other Devices.

If the device doesn't say "Arduino UNO", make sure it's the right one by unplugging the Arduino - if you've found the right device, it should disappear, and then reappear when you plug it back in.

Right click and select "Update Driver"

The Hardware Update Wizard will ask if it can connect to Windows Update. Select "No, not this time" and click Next

In the next dialog, Select "Install from a specific location", and click Next

Now, select "Search for the best driver in these locations"
Check "Include this location in search"
Browse to the drivers folder inside your Arduino folder. (On my computer, it's C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\drivers)
Click Next

If any dialogs about Windows compatibility testing, click "Continue Anyway"

The Wizard should find the Arduino UNO driver and install it.

If the Wizard does NOT find the driver, select "Have Disk". Navigate to the \drivers\ file you found earlier, and select "Arduino UNO REV3.inf" if you have a UNO Rev 3, "Arduino UNO.inf" otherwise.

Click Finish, and see if the UNO shows up under Ports in the device manager. You may have to restart your computer.

jrod11

Post by jrod11 »

i tried to change the settings on my computer to allow it to automatically (on the internet and my computer) search for the driver because it seemed like that was the problem

However, my computer still cannot locate the driver

when i search manually, i can find the port labeled (COM & LPT)

However, when i go into (COM & LPT) it does not have an UNO option.

It does have an option labeled "Smart Modular Technologies" though.

jrod11

Post by jrod11 »

LOL!!!

didnt see your post before i replied

jrod11

Post by jrod11 »

still cant find the driver

windows suggest that i use "windows update" when your computer cannot find a driver.

is this correct?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No. Windows will not find the driver for you. You have to find it yourself. It's in the Arduino folder, where I told you to look. "Smart Modular Technologies" is not the right driver.

jrod11

Post by jrod11 »

Please bear with me. normally i would have someone else do this part for me so i don't exactly know what i am doing. i have looked at all of the step by step instructions on your site and the aduino site but nothing is exactly matching up with what i am encountering. Do to my lack of computer literacy, i am having some trouble filling in the gaps. I am very sorry, but I think it is best if i just start over. these are the steps i have taken and the problems i am running into with each step. It would really help if could comment on what i am not understanding or doing correctly regarding each step i have taken. I am very sorry for my lack of understanding and i am fully aware that i am an idiot.

1) I first tried to plug the UNO into the USB port and the hardware wizard did not start so i was unable to "Install from a list or specific location".

2) I downloaded the software from the aduino link that you gave me. it is currently located in my downloads and in my documents. did you tell me to do this because i should have done this in the first place, or because the wizard did not start up in my particular situation?

3) I Went to "device manager". were it is suppose to say "USB serial pot (COMx)". mine says "unknown device". I am just guessing that this is do to my inability to accomplish step 1. Is this the case? (i unplugged the UNO to insure this was the correct device.)

4) I clicked on "unknown device" and then clicked on "update driver" and then clicked on "Browse My Computer software for drivers". it is at this point that i believe i am stuck do to lack of understanding.

5) it gives me 2 browsing options. i can either "browse my computer" or "Pick from a list of device drivers"

Problem#1: When i try to "browse my computer" i can get to the documents and the downloads but i can never get it to go all the way to arduino1.0.1. Does this have to do with were i have the arduino software currently located? Also, if i try to search in "documents" or "downloads", windows will not find it. I am guessing this is because i have to specify it directly. Is that the case?

Problem #2: this is what happens when i try to "pick from a list of device drivers"

i have looked through all of them (even the ones i know it will not be in) and cannot find it. The one labeled "ports (COM & LPT)" is there, but the "arduino1.0.1" is not there nor is it in any of the other ones.

Thank you very much for your time.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

jrod11 wrote:Problem#1: When i try to "browse my computer" i can get to the documents and the downloads but i can never get it to go all the way to arduino1.0.1.
Did you unzip the file after downloading it? It's a little confusing sometimes in that Windows Explorer can navigate within a ZIP file as if it were any other folder...but other applications (and including driver installation) are oblivious, they just see the ZIP, not it's contents. Try the "Extract all" thing if you haven't already.

jrod11

Post by jrod11 »

that was it. lesson 0 complete

thank you very much

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”