Changing the baud rate of the ttl serial camera

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Changing the baud rate of the ttl serial camera

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

T.Praveen wrote:Is this possible?
Maybe. I don't know.

How many bytes in your average image size? Why don't you try it and see? Write a loop that simulates reading data from the camera and then writes the simulated data to a card. See how fast it goes.

theman8631

Post by theman8631 »

I'm curious if anything has come of this and what the best suggestions are to focus on to improve the capture speed of the cameras.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

There's not a lot you can do about it. Changing the baud rate doesn't work reliably.

pixeltwenty

Post by pixeltwenty »

With the caveat that I am using a VC0706 protocol camera very similar to this, but not exactly the same hardware, I have successfully found how to change the baud rate to achieve very reliable and well-tested higher rate. Not only that, but by extrapolating the VC0706 parameters, I run successfully at twice the theoretical limit (of 115200) .... at 230400! This allows the capture of a 640x480 picture in about 5 seconds. See the detail and order of the commands at https://pixeltwenty.com/tip20182.html as well as the code which govern the careful interaction and timing of retrieving the image. The code was written to transmit the image packets using UDP packets as it goes, where a server reassembles. I also had luck finally finding away to adjust the motion sensitivity as well, shown there too. This code communicates directly with the camera through serial and without using a third party library. Good luck and have fun.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”