Weatherproof TTL Serial Camera Black and White
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Weatherproof TTL Serial Camera Black and White

by ackings on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:33 pm

I picked up one of these cameras not too long ago and I just finally got it working today. The camera takes pictures in color but the NTSC video is all black and white. I tired messing around with settings in Comm Tool but nothing has worked so far. Is this just some kind of defect or am I missing something here?
ackings

Re: Weatherproof TTL Serial Camera Black and White

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am

That's how it's supposed to work. From the first page of the tutorial:

The module was initially designed for surveillance purposes. Its meant to constantly stream TV-resolution video out of the Video pin (this is NTSC monochrome format) and also take commands from the serial port. The serial port commands can request that the module freeze the video and then download a JPEG color image.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.

adafruit_support_mike

by ackings on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Well then it sounds like you need to change the description and technical details…

“This weatherproof camera module is a classy upgrade to the basic camera module we already stock in the shop. The main differences is that this one comes in a nice metal case with a mounting hinge, a 1 meter long cable with the TTL & NTSC signals brought out, and it has an automatic IR LED system for night time photos. When the onboard photo-cell detects that it is too dark for the camera to take a photo, it turns on a ring of 12 IR LEDs that illuminate the nearby area for night-vision shots”

Please tell me exactly what these "classy upgrades" are? I don’t see any details on them.

“NTSC signals brought out” no mention of monochrome or color.

“This camera was designed to be used in security systems and does two main things - it outputs NTSC video and can take snapshots of that video and transmit them over the TTL serial link. You can snap pictures at 640x480, 320x240 or 160x120 and they're pre-compressed JPEG images which makes them nice and small and easy to store on an SD card. Perfect for a data-logging, security, or photography project.”

“it outputs NTSC video and can take snapshots of that video” then why are the snapshots in color and the video feed in black and white?

“One nice thing about this particular camera is all the 'extras' that come with it. For example it has manually adjustable focus, auto-white-balance, auto-brightness and auto-contrast taken care of for you as well as motion detection built in! That means you can have it alert your project when something moved in the frame.”
Maybe some more details on these “extras” that it comes with would be nice

“Using the module is pretty easy and only requires two digital pins (or a TTL serial port) - by default it transmits at 38400 baud but the baud rate can be adjusted if you need to transmit the images faster. “

Hhmmm I can change the baud rate? Your tutorial says other wise…

“Can I change the baud rate on this Camera?

You might notice there seems to be a command for changing the baud rate. By default the baud rate is 38400 baud.
Despite the software letting you change the baud rate this is a very flaky setting and even if it works, when you power up the camera again it will reset. Some experimenters have accidentally disabled their cameras by trying to change the baud rate. We do not suggest you mess with the baud rate settings. If you do, you may permanently disable your camera and we will not replace it!”

Your description and tutorial don’t match. Also I base a product purchase on your ability to correctly properly describe the product details. Which by the way do not mention any details on the video out feed. The documentation on the wires is pretty confusing as well, you should provide separate pictures on the Weather proof and the regular TTL Camera.

• Metal Housing size: 2" x 2" x 2.5"
• Weight: 150 grams
• Image sensor: CMOS 1/4 inch
• CMOS Pixels: 30M
• Pixel size: 5.6um*5.6um
• Output format: Standard JPEG/M-JPEG
• White balance: Automatic
• Exposure: Automatic
• Gain: Automatic
• Shutter: Electronic rolling shutter
• SNR: 45DB
• Dynamic Range: 60DB
• Max analog gain: 16DB
• Frame speed: 640*480 30fps
• Scan mode: Progressive scan
• Viewing angle: 60 degrees
• Monitoring distance: 10 meters, maximum 15meters (adjustable)
• Image size: VGA(640*480), QVGA(320*240), QQVGA(160*120)
Baud rate: Default 38400, Maximum 115200
• Current draw: 75mA without IR LEDs on. 250mA extra for IR LEDs
• Operating voltage: DC +5V
• Communication: 3.3V TTL (Three wire TX, RX, GND)

“ Of course we wouldn't just leave you with a datasheet and a 'good luck', we even spent a lot of time researching the module and DSP to make a really nice Arduino library with example code that shows how to change the image size and compression quality, detect motion, control the video output stream, etc. We also have a very detailed tutorial that will help get the most use out of your camera.”

So now I have to base my purchases on Arduino code and a tutorial on how to use said product? I don’t have time to go over all the small details. I don’t go over every single ingredient when I buy food at a grocery store. I should be able to trust your basic information given and make my decisions on the summary information given to me on your website.

Yet another gem in your tutorial…

“There are many options for this software, here's what we think of the other buttons. Personally, we don't suggest going in to any of them unless you really need to… “we even spent a lot of time researching the module and DSP “… yet you don’t know how all the buttons work in the software.

Rad.

How am I supposed to know if need to go to these other buttons?

“we even spent a lot of time researching the module and DSP “… yet you don’t know how all the buttons work in the software. Great.

Here’s a great thread I found after your forums seaching for what little info there is.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35877&start=0&hilit=camera

“Yes. The NTSC video out signal is in color. The color saturation tends to be a little on the low-side by default. Have you tried adjusting the color settings on your TV?”

In the thread the cameras are sent back. I would like to do the same as well and get a refund.

Thanks
ackings

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:05 pm

We have little to no documentation for the cameras ourselves, and what we have doesn't always agree with the way the devices behave in practice.

If you haven't done so already, send a message to support@adafruit.com and we'll get you a refund.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.