Atmega32u4 Breakout Board with Arduino IDE?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bluepuma

Atmega32u4 Breakout Board with Arduino IDE?

Post by bluepuma »

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a small Arduino board with 5V operating voltage as I live in a 5V world (Android, iPhone, Blackberry, LED strip, etc) and settled for an Atmega32u4 Breakout Board. Only when it arrived I realized that it's not really Arduino-supported.

There is a Ladyada page that doesn't really explain how to develop for it, but in an older version you can find some hints.

So I installed Arduino IDE 1.0.5 and Teensyduino 1.15 and tried the mods as described on the old page. It's more written towards Windows and less for Mac OSX. The IDE is starting, but when I select the Atmega32u4 Breakout Board I can't even compile the simple blink examples. It works when I select a Teensy board, though.

On Mac OSX I get these errors:

Code: Select all

Blink:13: error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory
Blink.ino: In function 'void setup()':
Blink:18: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope
Blink:18: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
Blink.ino: In function 'void loop()':
Blink:23: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
Blink:23: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
Blink:24: error: 'delay' was not declared in this scope
Blink:25: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope

On Windows XP I get these errors:

In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/wiring.h:33,
                 from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/WProgram.h:19,
                 from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/Arduino.h:1,
                 from Blink.ino:13:
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/core_pins.h:1914:4: error: #error "Clock must be 16, 8, 4, 2 or 1 MHz"
In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/wiring.h:33,
                 from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/WProgram.h:19,
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/core_pins.h: In function 'void delayMicroseconds(uint16_t)':
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/core_pins.h:1916: error: 'tmp' was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/core_pins.h:1933: error: invalid lvalue in asm output 0
In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/WProgram.h:25,
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/HardwareSerial.h: In member function 'void HardwareSerial::begin(uint32_t, uint8_t)':
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/HardwareSerial.h:11: error: 'null' was not declared in this scope
What's the best way to get the Atmega32u4 Breakout Board working with the Arduino IDE?

Or should I just buy a Teensy instead?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Atmega32u4 Breakout Board with Arduino IDE?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

There are some strange problems that cropped up with 1.0.5. But, from the errors, it looks like your basic Arduino installation is corrupted.

I have it working with 1.0.4. Why don't you give that a try?

Also, I didn't have to do any of the modifications. That may be because I have the old Arduino 0.21 based version installed, but I would not be surprised if the latest Teensyduino install included support for the Breakout Board.

What happens if you simply install teensyduino into Arduino 1.0.4 without doing any other modifications?

bluepuma

Post by bluepuma »

Thanks, I have installed the old version Arduino IDE 1.0.4 and it seems to work.

Binary sketch size: 2144 bytes (of a 28672 byte maximum)
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "LUFACDC"; type = S
    Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x44
Now I just have to figure out how to address the internal LED to see it really working. And then how to connect the RGB LED from the Arduino example to the Atmega32u4 Breakout Board with help of the Pinout Reference.

bluepuma

Post by bluepuma »

Little hint for debugging: if you press the shift key while clicking on upload in the Arduino IDE, you will get a lot of debug infos.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”