Question about the Adruino versions
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Question about the Adruino versions

by dragonuv on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:36 pm

I would be happy if someone could explain me what is the difference between each of the following:
Arduino
Arduino NG
Arduino Diecimila
Arduino Proto Shield
Boarduino

dragonuv

by ih8gates on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm

is this what you're looking for?

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Boards
ih8gates

by Entropy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 pm

That link does a pretty good job, except for the Proto Shield and the Boarduino.

The Proto Shield is not actually an Arduino unit, it is a "sheld" (essentially a peripheral expansion board) for the standard form factor Arduino units that makes it easy to do circuit prototyping.

For a description of the Boarduino it is probably best to go to the adafruit project page for it.
Entropy

by dragonuv on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Ok, tell me if i got it right.
the Arduino NG and the Arduino diecimila are both kinds of Arduino. and the Arduino Diecimila is a better version of NG.
the Arduino Proto Shield is used to help design the PCB of the device (btw, where do I place all the capacitors, resistors, leds, buttons in? the Arduino? or the proto shield\breadboard?)
Boarduino is like an Arduino. but still don't know what is the difference exactly, my question is what is better for beginners? Boarduino or Arduino? and why?

and another question that interests me is whether the proto shield below the bread board and is the arduino connected to the computer and to the proto shield?

Why does the arduino need another power supply if it is connected to the computer?

And if I have finally wanted to make a project and I designed the PCB using the proto shield, how will i upload the code to the micro-controller and how do i get one?

too many questions but I would appreciate the answerers :)
dragonuv

by magician13134 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm

The protoshield sports a tiny breadboard perfect for placing in all your capacitors, buttons etc. Boarduino is an Arduino designed by Ladyada (correct me if I'm wrong on that) that is designed to be used with a normal sized or bigger breadboard. Right now, I'd stick with the Arduino due to built in USB support, so you don't have to spend $20+ for conversions, but Ladyada's Flickr pool has pictures of a USB Boarduino that I may just have to get once it comes out.
magician13134

by Entropy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 pm

dragonuv wrote:Ok, tell me if i got it right.
the Arduino NG and the Arduino diecimila are both kinds of Arduino. and the Arduino Diecimila is a better version of NG.
the Arduino Proto Shield is used to help design the PCB of the device (btw, where do I place all the capacitors, resistors, leds, buttons in? the Arduino? or the proto shield\breadboard?)
Boarduino is like an Arduino. but still don't know what is the difference exactly, my question is what is better for beginners? Boarduino or Arduino? and why?

and another question that interests me is whether the proto shield below the bread board and is the arduino connected to the computer and to the proto shield?

Why does the arduino need another power supply if it is connected to the computer?

And if I have finally wanted to make a project and I designed the PCB using the proto shield, how will i upload the code to the micro-controller and how do i get one?

too many questions but I would appreciate the answerers :)

Think of the proto shield as being like a "peripheral board" for your Arduino.

The Arduino needs another power supply because some people need more current than a USB port can provide for their projects. Such as motor control or superbright LEDs. In some cases, they have a +9v or +12v in that is used in parts of the project other than the microcontroller itself. As an example, I have a motor control circuit that uses a ULN2003 chip to allow the TTL (5v) logic outputs of a Boarduino to switch on/off a set of +12v circuits. The Boarduino is fed +12v, the 7805 gives the ATMega168 clean regulated +5v power, and the motors get straight unregulated +12v from the power supply.

Arduino vs. Boarduino for beginners is partly a matter of preference. In my opinion being "breadboard pluggable" makes the Boarduino much easier to work with, on the other hand Arduinos come preassembled but Boarduinos can only be bought as a kit that you have to assemble.

As to programming the microcontroller - Arduino-compatible hardware comes preprogrammed with a special bootloader that takes up part of the flash of the unit but allows the rest of the flash to be programmed via the serial port without any special programmer. The Arduino IDE will take care of the details for you. If you somehow nuke the bootloader (hard to do I believe), you would need a programmer such as the USBTinyISP to reflash the bootloader.
Entropy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.