๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

using Arduino with wifi module?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

using Arduino with wifi module?

by Jaanus on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of adding network capabilities for my (Bo)Arduino. They are selling wireless modules like this --> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 91-1037-ND so I could just bridge Arduino to it over the serial interface and do cool network stuff.

Has anybody done this before? Got good/bad experiences to share? Boards to use/avoid? One thing is that it needs 240 mA power @ 5VDC whereas Arduino pins do 40 mA so I'll have to figure out the power solution. But other than power... wdyt? :roll:
Jaanus

by adafruit on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm

theres no reason i can see why you cant add one of these, but ive never done it.

adafruit

Re: using Arduino with wifi module?

by Entropy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Jaanus wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking of adding network capabilities for my (Bo)Arduino. They are selling wireless modules like this --> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 91-1037-ND so I could just bridge Arduino to it over the serial interface and do cool network stuff.

Has anybody done this before? Got good/bad experiences to share? Boards to use/avoid? One thing is that it needs 240 mA power @ 5VDC whereas Arduino pins do 40 mA so I'll have to figure out the power solution. But other than power... wdyt? :roll:

You wouldn't power the board from the AVR, you would connect it to the same +5v rail as the AVR most likely. The wifi board wouldn't consume serious amounts of current from its logic inputs, just from its supply rail.

Keep in mind that without a hefty heatsink, adding 240 mA load to that 7805 regulator will probably overheat it. You might need to hook up an external +5v high current source, or replace the 7805 with something more efficient. I once saw some pictures of a switching regulator module someone built that had the same pinout as a 7805 and fit on the same board footprint (but was MUCH taller than a 7805.)
Entropy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.