using Arduino with wifi module?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

using Arduino with wifi module?

by Jaanus on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of adding network capabilities for my (Bo)Arduino. They are selling wireless modules like this --> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 91-1037-ND so I could just bridge Arduino to it over the serial interface and do cool network stuff.

Has anybody done this before? Got good/bad experiences to share? Boards to use/avoid? One thing is that it needs 240 mA power @ 5VDC whereas Arduino pins do 40 mA so I'll have to figure out the power solution. But other than power... wdyt? :roll:
Jaanus

by adafruit on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm

theres no reason i can see why you cant add one of these, but ive never done it.

adafruit

Re: using Arduino with wifi module?

by Entropy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Jaanus wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking of adding network capabilities for my (Bo)Arduino. They are selling wireless modules like this --> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 91-1037-ND so I could just bridge Arduino to it over the serial interface and do cool network stuff.

Has anybody done this before? Got good/bad experiences to share? Boards to use/avoid? One thing is that it needs 240 mA power @ 5VDC whereas Arduino pins do 40 mA so I'll have to figure out the power solution. But other than power... wdyt? :roll:

You wouldn't power the board from the AVR, you would connect it to the same +5v rail as the AVR most likely. The wifi board wouldn't consume serious amounts of current from its logic inputs, just from its supply rail.

Keep in mind that without a hefty heatsink, adding 240 mA load to that 7805 regulator will probably overheat it. You might need to hook up an external +5v high current source, or replace the 7805 with something more efficient. I once saw some pictures of a switching regulator module someone built that had the same pinout as a 7805 and fit on the same board footprint (but was MUCH taller than a 7805.)
Entropy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.