Breadboards
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Breadboards

by dragonuv on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 pm

can the half-sized breadboard be mounted into the arduino diecimila and the adafruit proto shield? or is it only the tiny that can be mounted?
thanks.
and another question, does anyone have a code example of how can i program an arduino with c# ?
thanks.
dragonuv

by darus67 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:26 pm

If you look here: http://ladyada.net/make/pshield/index.html
it shows how a larger breadboard can be used with the proto shield.
"He's just this guy. You know?"
darus67

by dragonuv on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 pm

thanks, is there any difference in the functionality of the tiny and the half sized breadboard? because in lesson 3 of the arduino tutorial (http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson3.html) it says the half sized breadboard can be a substitution for the shield
dragonuv

by darus67 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:00 pm

The breadboards all work the same way.
Only difference is the size.
"He's just this guy. You know?"
darus67

by tomp on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 pm

The protoshield is built slightly differently depending on whether you want to use the tiny or half-size breadboard. If you use the tiny breadboard, there are another two headers you can solder in that provide short ground and 5V buses, which are pretty convenient. I built my protoshield with a half-size breadboard because - hey - bigger is better, right? But I wish now that I'd used the tiny one. It's plenty big enough for the tutorial projects and I've wished on a number of occasions that I had those additional power connections.

If you really want more breadboard for your Arduino projects, I'd get a full-size breadboard and a Boarduino (... as I finally did.)

tomp

by dragonuv on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:05 am

TomP wrote:If you use the tiny breadboard, there are another two headers you can solder in that provide short ground and 5V buses, which are pretty convenient.

can you explain please? I didnt understand much..
dragonuv

by tomp on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 am

From ladyada's protoshield page, here's what the shield looks like with the tiny breadboard,

Do you notice the two short black headers on the left side of the breadboard? One of them provides connections to ground and the other provides connections to 5v. If you want to use the half-size breadboard, you have to leave those off, as you can see here,

Ladyada discusses this quite clearly in the assembly instructions on this page. Look about two-thirds of the way down the page. There's a panel with a picture of the half-sized breadboard and the caption "If you're using a half-sized breadboard you should stop now...". That panel and the others below it explain what I was trying to point out here.

tomp

by dragonuv on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 am

alright i can see that if u use the tiny bread board u have to add those headers, but what does it it mean that they provide connections to the ground and to the 5v? and why is that bad if i dont use them with the half sized breadboard?

and assuming i got the half sized breadbord, can i get it out and put the tiny one and solder those headers?
thanks
dragonuv

by tomp on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:30 am

what does it it mean that they provide connections to the ground and to the 5v?

If you're building a circuit and you need to connect some component to 5v or to ground, you can run a wire over to one of those headers. It simplifies the wiring of the tutorial circuits a little. It's just a matter of convenience - it's not a big deal.

assuming i got the half sized breadbord, can i get it out and put the tiny one and solder those headers?

No, I don't think so. The breadboards have adhesive backs and are glued to the protoshield. I've tried to pry off my half-size breadboard, but it was going to require enough force that I was worried about damaging the shield.

tomp

by dragonuv on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:56 pm

alright so its just a matter of convenience, but if i dont solder those 2 headers and i will need to put a wire in them, where is that wire going?
dragonuv

by tomp on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:29 pm

but if i dont solder those 2 headers and i will need to put a wire in them, where is that wire going?

The long headers provide three ground connections and two 5v connections (one on each side of the shield); you'd run a wire to one of those.

tomp

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.