Arduino question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino question

by cizzi on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:45 pm

When using the arduino for the first time, is there any way I can damage it if I do something wrong ? Is there any general guidelines for someone who's never used one before? Thanks.
cizzi

by A. Square on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:14 pm

There are always ways you can damage it by doing something wrong, but unless you're starting out with doing something pretty fancy or strange, it is pretty robust. I imagine the worst mistaken you could make if you're doing standard "beginner" stuff and not trying anything ridiculous is either plugging it in to a source with the wrong polarity (although there may even be some protection against that sort of mistake); if you bought one of Adafruit's power supplies, this shouldn't be a problem.

Probably the biggest beginner (and experienced) electronics mistake is connecting Vcc directly to GND with nothing limiting the current in between them. This makes very bad things happen, and you'll smell smoke very quickly. So always double check your connections.

That said, I've reversed power lines and shorted things out several times, but noticed quickly and disconnected power, and everything has been fine.
A. Square

by cizzi on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 pm

Thankyou for your answer, and yes I did order the starter arduino kit from adafruit (should get it sometime this week). So I've been reading alot about the product as well as the lessons and any other information I can get my hands on. I have a particular interest in using the read/write functions to store data on the 512 bytes EEPROM chip that comes with the arduino.
cizzi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.