๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Even Parity
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Even Parity

by zhuntai on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:13 am

Hi,

Having a problem with serial communications using my Modern Devices BBB (Arduino compatible).

My issue is that I need to establish a link with a projector which requires:
38400bps
8 data bits
even parity <--
1 stop bit

The even parity is the part I am having problems with. I've a small amount of experience interfacing with my amplifier (9600-8-N-1, working fine).

At the moment, I've tried adding the line:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sbi(UCSR0C, UPM01);

to \hardware\cores\arduino\wiring_serial.c but I can't decide if it's working.

Hyperterminal seems to suggest it is because I plug in the desired settings and my program echoes everything back fine. I did note that in the status bar it did sometimes come up with 38400-N-1 which suggested to me that something was amiss?

My question is... what's the best way to enable even parity bit, and is there a way to use AFSoftSerial? I want to avoid using the hardware serial port to save it for other things, and avoid plugging and unplugging cables all the time.

For info, I'm using a MAX232 to shift levels. Interesting note, I am unable to program my board while the TX pin is connected to the MAX232. I'm not sure if that's normal... it says protocol error.
zhuntai

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.